• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 6th and final Proof Seated Liberty coin for da Cat's Meow

21 posts in this topic

Here you go Victor! My new 1876 coin:

1876-20-CENT-AXIAL.jpg

This photo was taken with an axial light source and another globe bulb positioned at 45 degrees to add some bright highlights on the top edges of the devices.

The next photo was lit by two 75 watt globe bulbs positioned at about 30 degrees from the top on each side of the coin.

1876-20-CENT-REFLECT.jpg

I thought it was pretty lucky when I saw that DLRC had a proof twenty cent piece that not only could I afford, but also was toned in a way that would fit well with my other 19th century proofs in my type set. It looked really good in the DLRC photo, especially for a proof 61 grade, but when I got to see the coin in hand it was a totally disappointing moment. Tone wise the coin was perfect, but then there were nicks and scratches in the fields so bad it destroyed the mirrored fields and were very distracting. I really was upset about this coin being such a dog, with the prices going up quickly for old proofs I felt time was running out for me to get an example of the twenty cent piece in a proof; I may not see another proof that I could afford, looked good for the grade, and fit well with the other Seated Liberty proofs in my type set for a long time which by then the prices could be lots higher too.

Back the coin went and I moved on thinking that there’s has to be some proof twenty cent pieces that look like my Trade or Seated Liberty Dollars; good looking lightly toned PR62s, (maybe even a cameo), out there somewhere. The combined population from NGC and PCGS for PR62s in the two affordable years, 1875 and 1876, is just over 100 coins slabbed. So I was really surprised finding a PCGS PR62 Twenty cent piece checking out the Ebay listings by Stateline Coin Exchange in South Beloit IL! I met Steve Teal the owner many times at shows in Milwaukee and have purchased from him in the past but never bought anything though Ebay from him and didn’t want to start now. Instead I made a phone call and was able to get together with Steve to see if this coin is as nice as the photos and description I heard on the phone.

I met Steve last Monday evening in Roscoe IL at the local library which had some private rooms we could use; this made it feel really safe discussing rare coins in a public. I brought all of my other Seated Liberty proofs so I could actually compare this Twenty cent piece with them, it fit really well and looked great lined up in order from half dime through dollar. The hook was set, and set deep… The Ebay auction was still going for two days yet so I couldn’t do much with the price and offered to pay the $1950 that was the started bid. Steve said the auction was on over twenty different watch lists but after a little thinking was willing to take the sure thing by selling the coin to me and ending the auction, it’s the old bird in the hand thing, eh?

There are some hairlines from cleaning in the fields, but other then that this coin is in good shape for a PR62, there are not large or deep marks and in the right lighting the fields have a deep watery look and nice contrast with the devices. The eye appeal of this coin is really sweet; I’m feeling so lucky to find this coin every time I look at it. :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Beautiful coin, Paul. I just this weekend got my first twenty cent piece, an 1875 S EF40, I traded with James to get, and cannot wait to hold it. Nothing like yours though. Again, congrats on a lovely coin.

Jim

That's it, mister! You've crossed the line. Yep, I definitely hate ya now! :cry: That sure is a beaut for the grade there, Pablo! I can't even recall ever seeing one of that grade offered 'cause I'd have been on it like a chicken on a bug! :P Congrats on a great pick up. Paul! :acclaim:

Excellent looking coin, Paul! :applause: Thanks for the story too, it's always nice to hear the story behind the coin. It would be fun if you'd do a post now with all the proof coins so we can see how they all look together.

Great pickup!

Thanks for the kind words every one (thumbs u

I've been way to busy at work lately and didn't have time to post this coin or get it in my type until this weekend. To say the least I've been very excited with this purchase, this coin ranks right up there with my proof seated dollar as to how good it makes me feel to have it in my collection, both have been coins that I wasn't sure if I'd ever be adding to my type set as proofs.

Good idea Sy for a group photo...

Seated-Group-shot-Obv.jpg

Seated-Group-shot-Rev.jpg

Jim, my first Twenty Cent Piece was an extra fine that I bought in 1980 and had in my type set until a couple of years ago when NGC bagged it; I got mad and foolishly sold it. doh!

All I have left is the photo... ( Although the funds from the sale were quickly put back into my type set. lol )

1875-twenty-cent.jpg

Just want to add envy :sick: to the list of emotions expressed over your 20 center. What a beauty!! Well done! Do we get to see the whole set??

RI AL

Rexcat...

I just found the rest of your set. Jeeeeesh....you have good taste. I'd be proud as hell too (can I say that??)

Regarding REXCAT'S 1875 S picture, can someone help me with this? In the dentril immediately below the 7, is that the top of another 7...or is it time for me to put the reading glasses away for the evening??

RI AL

Just want to add envy :sick: to the list of emotions expressed over your 20 center. What a beauty!! Well done! Do we get to see the whole set??

RI AL

Sure thing RI AL ! (thumbs u

Just click on the banner labeled "Cat's Meow" right below the northern lights photos in my signature. This will take you to my type set which has photos for nearly all of the coins in that set.

never mind that last post...

But thanks for the props on my type set RI AL!

I've been working on this set for over ten years, more than anything else I've found being patient and waiting for the right coin to come along for any slot pays off in the long run. When looking for coins for the collection I think about all of the remaining coins I need and buy any one of the remaining types that comes along when I feel will it's a good fit in the set. In the past when I'd get caught up in trying to fill hole by taking the first coin that was the correct type I'd end up making some poor purchases that had to be replaced after awhile.

That's a lot of why I feel so lucky about this coin, and to pop up so close to home where I could see the coin in hand before buying made it so much easier to put up the money for it, which was the top of my budget for a twenty center

That's a REALLY nice looking set there, Paul!!! :applause: CONGRATULATIONS on having the patience for waiting and the eye for finding the right looking coins. That is a very attractive looking group!!!

Congrats Paul. I know how hard it is to find just the right coin for proof sets, and I think your patience has been rewarded with a very nice set. Thank you for sharing..Mike