• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robec's impressive photographic handiwork

7 posts in this topic

As I'm sure you've noticed Bob's (Robec) photography skill lately, he was kind enough to offer to take some pictures of a few of mine. I sent him an eclectic bunch of US and darkside material, and he was able to get some great images!

The first one is a "widget" that I love, as it was seriously undergraded and I purchased it for a hair over melt. This example was in a first generation ANACS/ANA small slab, long known for being ultra-conservatively graded for the most part. This Peace dollar was seriously undergraded, and I call it "the finest MS62 in captivity" (ANACS grade, I'd grade it higher than that). ....and yes, the reverse really is that clean and free of marks and nicks

1925Peaceobv842.jpg

1925Peacerev850.jpg

......and here is that DPL/PL Morgan that I picked up at a local coin club meeting. Some of you may recall it, as I posted it here with pictures of my own. Bob captured it much better than I could have, and I love the look!

The pictures show slightly different light angles, which gives the coin a slightly different look.

I'm thinking about having this one graded, but since Morgans are not "my bag", I don't know what grade it would come back with. In looking at comparable pictures on Heritage, et cetera, i'm thinking maybe MS64 and either DPL or PL? we'll see!

thanks for looking!

1885Oobv859.jpg

1885Oobv859a.jpg

1885Orev863.jpg

1885Orev862.jpg

Great images, Bob!

Doogy, as for the Peace $, I think the marks on her face will keep it from anything better than 63. The reverse of the Morgan definitely looks DPL, but I'm not sure about the obverse........maybe only PL. The gouges/scratches on the reverse may prevent it from getting 64.

Chris

Great images, Bob!

Dooly, as for the Peace $, I think the marks on her face will keep it from anything better than 63. The reverse of the Morgan definitely looks DPL, but I'm not sure about the obverse........maybe only PL. The gouges/scratches on the reverse may prevent it from getting 64.

Chris

Thanks guys!

Chris, I was just speculating as to what grade it will get, but i'll admit this is not my specialty series. Being somewhat new to Peace dollars, I thought about jumping into them more, and looked at about 100-150 slabbed PCGS/NGC MS65 and 66 at the Phoenix ANA show. It seems their grading standards have loosened considerably since this was graded, which is why i was thinking this may get MS65 now. A lot of what i saw looked like this one, an MS66 by PCGS (which looks more dinged on both sides, but ESPECIALLY the reverse which looks bad compared to mine):

b628_3.JPG

b929_3.JPG

I realize grading is subjective, I just wanted to learn what the TPGs "see" when evalauating a coin, so i don't make a stupid purchase. thanks for your thoughts!

Doug

Nice Peace Dollars Doogy, and I have to extend my appreciation more to the DMPL Morgan. Very Nice. Bob another fantastic job of photoing these coins. My hats off to both of you!!