• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade (1871 2cent piece) Grade posted

19 posts in this topic

Just received this coin (second time I have imaged through a holder) and the winner will get a thumbs up (thumbs u from me.

It does have some schmutz on it......should I crack it and try to remove the crud?

18712centobv.jpg

18712centrev.jpg

I will post the grade sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Ray

My guess is MS-61 BN. I think it could be safely conserved, but wouldn't even dream of attempting it myself.

I have to do something with the darn thing James...it's bugging the heck out of me!

Thanks again,

Ray

Love the crack on We(or looks like a crack?)

I would say AU58, but could be a 62. Hard to tell from pics. Looks like no wear, but ya never know.

As to the crud, not sure how to proceed. I would wait to do anything till more experianced members chime in.

I like the remaining red too.

Love the crack on We(or looks like a crack?)

I would say AU58, but could be a 62. Hard to tell from pics. Looks like no wear, but ya never know.

As to the crud, not sure how to proceed. I would wait to do anything till more experianced members chime in.

I like the remaining red too.

YUP!

That is a die crack above the "W" but to the left of that might be a hit. I'll have to scrutinize that area.

Thanks again,

Ray

I am going to choose to interpret what I see on the WE as the slightest bit of wear, and put it at AU-58. If that crud were removed (NCS can help with that) I would like this coin a lot.

I was the underbidder on that one. Looks like I should have bid a bit stronger. :devil:

Congrats on a great looking coin. That green stuff on the rim bothers me but it may be stable given the age of the holder. (thumbs u

PCI.jpg

Thanks for all the guesses.

Ray

Wow, what a bizarre grade! This slab, though, is from an era when PCI's grading was exceptionally erratic. They could undergrade severely, as well as overgrade.

I was the underbidder on that one. Looks like I should have bid a bit stronger. :devil:

Congrats on a great looking coin. That green stuff on the rim bothers me but it may be stable given the age of the holder. (thumbs u

So I beat you to the punch eh?

I could not take the crud on the obverse, as much as I like the old PCI holder I cracked it and it's sitting in an acetone bath.

I hope I did the right thing.

Ray

Yep. I was looking for a decent XF-AU for my Dansco 7070. I have been wanting one of those old PCI holders too, so I was torn between cracking or not if I won. The pictures were just not good enough and I bid lower than I may have if I had known what it really looked like.

Let us know how the acetone does.