• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about Littletons grading

10 posts in this topic

I bought a couple of sets of the new dollar coins from Littleton via a magazine ad. They came in cellaphane bags stating they were uncirculated MS-60s.

I broke open one bag and most of the coins were flawless to my eye.

I'm guessing that when they state MS-60 on the bag,that they are saying they are at least that grade,not that they are only MS-60s. I can't imagine they would take the time to individually grade them. Am I correct?

btw- they sent me a 2007 Silver Eagle on approval for the bargin price of $34.95.

They certainly are jokers.

I bought a couple of sets of the new dollar coins from Littleton via a magazine ad. They came in cellaphane bags stating they were uncirculated MS-60s.

I broke open one bag and most of the coins were flawless to my eye.

I'm guessing that when they state MS-60 on the bag,that they are saying they are at least that grade,not that they are only MS-60s. I can't imagine they would take the time to individually grade them. Am I correct?

btw- they sent me a 2007 Silver Eagle on approval for the bargin price of $34.95.

They certainly are jokers.

You are 100% correct on the dollar coins.

Littleton has the reputation of charging less experienced collectors top-dollar for their coins, which of course is a reputation that they would likely not want to embrace. However, on the plus side for Littleton, they appear to attempt to grade accurately and appear to avoid selling problem (cleaned, artificially toned, repaired) coins. Overall, I think that the combination of traits listed here would make them a reputable, though high priced, seller.

As to your question, yes, the dollars would be at least MS60.

I agree with Tom. Littleton is high priced, but they are very picky about the coins they buy from idividuals etc... I've bought some of thier $9.99 deals of kennedys and sacs and they were worth the money. MS60 or better.

I've been pleased with the quality of coins that I have purchased from Littleton. They sell nice coins. As others have noted, they do charge top dollar. If one was buying a type coin sight unseen (not recommended), Littleton will not disappoint.

Littleton has the reputation of charging less experienced collectors top-dollar for their coins, which of course is a reputation that they would likely not want to embrace. However, on the plus side for Littleton, they appear to attempt to grade accurately and appear to avoid selling problem (cleaned, artificially toned, repaired) coins. Overall, I think that the combination of traits listed here would make them a reputable, though high priced, seller.

As to your question, yes, the dollars would be at least MS60.

The one thing about Littleton is that the grade is a minimum grade. If the package says that the grade is MS60, then the coin will not grade less than MS60! I have purchased coins from them that have graded higher. Regardless of what anyone thinks of them, they do sell quality products.

But I agree with TomB about their prices... which are usually too high. But you can find some nice bargains from them if you can buy the sale items. I always look at those ads or bingo cards they insert in the magazines for interesting items. I used a Sac dollar promotion to help my nephew put together a nice set without it costing much!

Scott :hi:

I buy a few specials a year. Got a set of Sac dollars and some Kennedy pieces at a low premium to face. Last year I got a three piece Type Half dollar( liberty-Franklin-Kennedy for a nice price. All their offers say new customers only,but they haven't refused one of my orders yet.

I was just surprised when I opend them and they were near flawless but labeled MS-60.

Littleton has a fine reputation for paying strong prices for the coins they buy but they insist on accurate grading and no problems. As a former customer of theirs I can say that what I received from them were priced higher than some other dealer, but the coins were problem free. The thing is they were also usually at least one grade lower in condition than what they were selling them at. Sure they are a strong buyer of those problem VF type coins etc, but they ship them out as XF. And so on. (Naturally this wouldn't hold true for the Sac or President dollars because they really don't come less than AU so you really can't ship overgraded supermoderns that are available in unc by the ballistic bag.)