• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please forgive me for this..

44 posts in this topic

I know alot of you are probably going to get mad at me for this post.Alot of people are probably going to flame me, out of pure annoyance. And I don't blame them. I don't want to sell my slabbed gold but I don't want to worry about them either. I hope this thread will answer some of my questions. With the advent of the counterfeit slabs on eBay, I cannot help but worry about my MS62 PCGS $20 liberty's coin/slab. I fear that counterfeit US gold coins in counterfeit slabs are probably right down the corner. There is already one known gold counterfeit coin/slab in a PCGS holder, the chinese dollar. PCGS issued a statement concerning these counterfeit coin/slabs on their website.

I talked to michael and conder101 who are both very knowledgeable people about this and they said its doubtful of any need to worry about this. The MS62 PCGS $20 I bought around a year ago from a local scottsdale show here in arizona. The hologram is the older PNG logo. Not the hologram with the saint that is current. Conder101 told me while the counterfeiters are not counterfeiting the current holograms, but they are with the obverse of the slab, older number (with the word series in it)

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to look at this slab and determine it's authentic coin/slab. To me, I have no reason to worry about it. The coin looks geniune, crisp sharp details with no toolmarks, depressions or other signs. I don't know about the slab. My rational mind tells me not to post this thread because I should know better and it will probably annoy/anger alot of people. I'm sorry. I just need some confirmation. Here's pictures of the slab. Hopefully someone can look at a better and give me an opinion. It would bring me peace of mind.

:cloud9:

Thank you

20070615_231926_LIBERTYHEADREV.jpg

20dollarLIBERTYBESTOBVERSE.jpg

OHH you know you're going to get thrashed for this Kevin. Get the paranoria out of your head and be proud of that nice looking $20 gold!!!!

Woah, wait a second. At first, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that the slab was counterfeit. However, the more I look at it, the more I think the font on the label is a little off.

Sorry Kevin, it looks like a fake to me.

:devil:

Kevin: You need to find another hobby. You go through this cycle about every month or two. We can not assure you that coins you bought (2) years ago are genuine, but we have looked at your coins and said that they look ok several times and then we go through this cycle again, Kevin. You have cracked out coins scratched them, then had them body bagged because they were scratched and still posted the same questions on here again and been flamed, again! You are in the wrong hobby, son. Sell your coins to a dealer while gold prices are still high, and find another hobby, but not stamps!!!

It's not in your head. That is sooooooooo obvious of a fake! Shame on you just taking the ANA counterfeit seminar and you don't recognize the diagnostics for the most common fake 1904 there is. (tsk)

Definitely a fake coin in a fake slab. You better send it to me for my fake coin collection.

FWIW, I don't see anything that looks weird or out of the ordinary.

Kevin, the coin is genuine, and so is the holder. If you are going to continue to worry about it, please sell it and use your money for something that will bring you enjoyment.

Dude, you're great (and funny) to watch (read) but seriously, a hobby is supposed to help REDUCE your STRESS level, NOT to INCREASE it.

. We can not assure you that coins you bought (2) years ago are genuine

Huh?

If it's in a PCGS slab its probably geniune, but now that is changing due to the counterfeit slabs. Your sentence after this one contradicts what you just said..im confused

Dude, you're great (and funny) to watch (read) but seriously, a hobby is supposed to help REDUCE your STRESS level, NOT to INCREASE it.

Yeah, no kidding. I drive even the most patient people crazy. I wish I could get over it. When I was younger I would worry about the other hobbies I had. I used to collect fossils and rocks (like crystalline geodos), beanie babies, magic and such. I used to think the beanie babiers were fake. :o I still do magic. Maybe I should quit numismatics and just focus on magic. I've invested alot of time in numismatics though and I Would hate to quit it. I would also probably regret selling my coins later down the line, like I regretted cracking open my PCGS MS63 saint to send into NGC. Later down the road I realized I worried over nothing, but when something is in the moment I tend to not see that.

I'm surprised many of you want me to quit the hobby.

All the best,

kevin

It's not in your head. That is sooooooooo obvious of a fake! Shame on you just taking the ANA counterfeit seminar and you don't recognize the diagnostics for the most common fake 1904 there is. (tsk)

doh! I should have noticed.

:devil:

\My rational mind tells me not to post this thread because I should know better and it will probably annoy/anger alot of people.

Follow your rational mind. Always.

Anything else would be, well....irrational. ;)

Kevin, the coin is genuine, and so is the holder. If you are going to continue to worry about it, please sell it and use your money for something that will bring you enjoyment.

(thumbs u

oz.jpg

And for you Stinkycheese...Why, anybody can distinguish a counterfiet coin or

the plastic slabs that entomb them.

That's a very mediocre commodity.

Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the earth,

or slinks through slimy seas has this ability! Back where I come from we

have universities - seats of great learning - where men

go to become great graders. And when they come out, they think deep

thoughts, and with no more brains than you have.

But - they have one thing you haven't got - confidence!

Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Universita Committeeatum E Pluribus Unum,

I hereby confer upon you the honorary degree of Th.D.

Dr. of Thinkology

The slab and coin look fine.

Ironically, I don't expect fake gold coins in fake slabs to be seriously targeted by Chinese counterfeiters due to the expense of having to use real gold.

oz.jpg

And for you Stinkycheese...Why, anybody can distinguish a counterfiet coin or

the plastic slabs that entomb them.

That's a very mediocre commodity.

Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the earth,

or slinks through slimy seas has this ability! Back where I come from we

have universities - seats of great learning - where men

go to become great graders. And when they come out, they think deep

thoughts, and with no more brains than you have.

But - they have one thing you haven't got - confidence!

Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Universita Committeeatum E Pluribus Unum,

I hereby confer upon you the honorary degree of Th.D.

Dr. of Thinkology

:golfclap:

Does someone have a pic of Rodin's "The Thinker"? It would make a great ink stamper with Stinky's seal of approval......."Th.D."........on the bottom.

Chris

Kevin, I wholeheartedly agree with the advice given here. You have some sort of paranoia about your coins, almost like a hypocondreact (sp?). If you read somewhere that suddenly a handful of coins in PCGS and NGC holders are found to be fake, you think that that immediately makes all the coins you own fake!

So, sell them, trade them in, whatever. Buy a car, or support one of your other hobbies. Heck, put the money in an insured CD and make interest on it (NO, the bank WILL NOT screw you over). But, I do not think that you need to continue participating in a hobby that gives you (and so many others) this stress.

Kevin relax and enjoy the hobby. No one wants you to seriously quit the hobby. I think you just need to be confident in your purchase's and knowledge of coins.

Small correction to Kevin's first post, I said they are counterfeiting the CURRENT holograms, not the older ones as appears on Kevin's double eagle.

Kevin, it's real!

Hello Stinky----We do, most of us anyway, want to help you to not worry. Many of us have sent you PM messages. I know that I have tried to help you several times.

Woody is right when he says that you lack some confidence. When I opened this thread, I knew that I would develope a headache---and, indeed, I feel it coming on. I thought that I would agree with many of the others in saying that you should pick another hobby.

But, the doctor in me wanted to find another solution. One that MIGHT keep you in the coin hobby----yet allow you to not have the worry over "counterfeit" anything. And guys, I have a thought for Kevin.

Why not collect only coins from the various government mints?? U.S. or Canada being my first two choices. Kevin could collect gold or silver coins---or clad if he wants to. The prices would be fixed at the mints. There would be no need for any TPG slabs at all. No reason to think that ANYTHING would be counterfeit. He could become an expert at whatever he likes and whatever he chooses to buy.

He could sell---as Tom B recommends---the other stuff that he has---while gold is high. Thus eliminating that worry that keeps coming back. That profit could then start the buying of the mint coins. My son collects the silver proof quarters and the silver eagles. I just bought the bald Eagle gold. There is a lot there that one could collect and enjoy. Kevin, you could still write to us and tell us what you have just received---with NO worry about the coins or the slabs being genuine---because there would be NO slabs.

I do wish you good fortune. Take care and think about it. But, whatever that you do, you must build up your confidence in what you are doing. A lot of good luck to you. Bob [supertooth]

Yeah, no kidding. I drive even the most patient people crazy. I wish I could get over it. When I was younger I would worry about the other hobbies I had. I used to collect fossils and rocks (like crystalline geodos), beanie babies, magic and such. I used to think the beanie babiers were fake. :o I still do magic. Maybe I should quit numismatics and just focus on magic. I've invested alot of time in numismatics though and I Would hate to quit it. I would also probably regret selling my coins later down the line, like I regretted cracking open my PCGS MS63 saint to send into NGC. Later down the road I realized I worried over nothing, but when something is in the moment I tend to not see that.

All the best,

kevin

dude you fricken crack me up, please stay on this forum and post more!

All the best,

kevin

I'm sorry that you apparently find this to be humorous.

All the best,

kevin

I'm sorry that you apparently find this to be humorous.

Mark, there is no reason for you to feel sorry. You're right! It isn't funny at all.

Chris