• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got the 100mm Macro! No modern jokes now!

18 posts in this topic

I have no formal lighting set up or way to hold the coin. I simply stood it up and shined a light on it. Period. I'll be taking digital photography lessons this summer at the ANA so I'm sure my skills and equipment will improve. In fact, I'm sure it will improve before then, but I thought it would be fun to show this off.

These are my very first (in-focus) images taken with this lens (Tokina 100mm). Holy cow! This is a night and day difference from those 3MP pictures I can take with my wife's point and shoot. The lighting wasn't perfect, especially the reverse, but with a 10MP DSLR and this lens, I can tell the quality can be hugely impressive once I really start to get a handle on things.

I have a remote control shutter which I should be using once I have it setup on a tripod or copy stand. I'm sure I'll have to get an extra light or two. The coin is in an ICG slab (a Keifer wedding commemorative!).

086ffed8.jpgf80dbc5c.jpg

Great pics there Prethen. Looks like the light was just right for the Obv but got moved on the Rev. Nice detail and color tho'.

Great pics there Prethen. Looks like the light was just right for the Obv but got moved on the Rev. Nice detail and color tho'.

I was thinking exactly the opposite. The obverse looks all washed out, but the reverse, while a little more light would be good, shows the luster pretty well. In a coin photograph, luster is important.

Physics-fan...I'm with ya on this. The criticism is well taken. I have a long way to go. As far as detail, this lens is the bomb. Luster is a bit tougher.

The pres bucks are rather frustrating to shoot, in my limited experience with the things (before I swore them off and gave up collecting them).

I hear ya Michael! They are just as hard as the Sacs. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the color?

Prethen,

As long as you have a few second shutter delay and mirror lock-up (and I think you do), you will not need the remote. The remote can be a pain.......I think it is.

Ray

I haven't tried the mirror lock-up yet. I don't mind the remote at all. But, I don't think I really need it because I'm able to take these pictures under the natural light with 100 ISO at 1/100th second! I'm certain that I'll learn a lot better techniques as I work with the lens and in that ANA class in a few months.

If it weren't for the tie-in to Cammy, I would want to know why anyone would want that coin slabbed with all of the zits on Georgie Porgie's face.

Sorry, I coulldn't resist despite your warning.

Chris