• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corroded coins in proof set

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1936 proof set that was graded by NGC last year. All of the coins were encapsulated.The half dollar and the quarter are correded and it look like they are getting worse. You can hardly see the obverse of each coin. what can be done to restore these two coins so tha you can see then better.The penny is graded PF 62, the nickel is graded PF 63, the dime is graded PF 61, the quarter is graded PF 45 corroded # 3216470 and the half dollar is graded PF 12 corroded # 3216469. Any help or suggestions on how to clean up the coins?

First off, welcome to the forum. Do you have pictures of these coins? There is a good chance that they are not corroding further, because NGC will not slab a coin if it thinks the surfaces are unstable.

My mistake, NGC did not grade these coins. I confused them with the 1990 proof set missing the mint mark on the one cent. NGC did that one.

ANACS graded the coin. I do not have any pictures yet. It would be nice to learn how to take a photo of a coin in a plastic graded case? any more help?

Thank you,

Paul Coyle

Welcome Paul.I'm not sure if ANACS has a conservation section. You may be able to send these to NCS and see what they can do for them. NCS is associated with NGC.

Your coins may have been dipped in an acid solution to remove toning and not have been properly rinsed after dipping. They coin surfaces will cloud or even turn yellow sometimes after an improper dip and bad rinse. If the surfaces are corroding, the coins were most likely stored in a PVC flip. You may want to send these coins back to ANACS for an evaluation and maybe a refund if they live up to their grading warrantee. I know that NGC and PCGS guarantee their grading, except for after a period of time for copper coins. I am not sure about the new ANACS grading guarantee?