• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

your favorite coin

25 posts in this topic

My favorite coin is the 3CN (I know, it's not dark side, but I don't have any pictures of any of them and I don't have a favorite from the dark side, I like them all) laugh.gif

13371-18773cn.jpg.a99c2b56ae7bdb272d0fc348a50d94c1.jpg

One of my favorite coins has to be a 100 franc French angels.

Like the sovereign, the angels really becomes inpressive in larger format.

Charlie

Foreign: I like the 20 Centimes from france. The ones with the reeded edge. They work just like a quarter in the parking meters.

US: I like the 1920 Pilgrim commemorative half. The reverse is great.

I like Canadian 50 cent pieces, but the early ones are too expensive to buy often. I've settled for large cents and silver 5 cent pieces for now.

The way I've seen your passion for collecting (based on your posts at the CU forum), I am glad that we are not after the same coins. cool.gif

I have always been fond of the Roman coins, but own only a couple of them. I went to an antique store in Cambridge England one year and they had a large display of these coins. The details were incredible and they had such a high relief. Even though some looked like they were just stamped yesterday, they have a crudeness that reminds you of a time long past. Everytime I pull one of mine out, I blows my mind that I am holding something so well preserved even though it was was made in 100-200 AD.

I think that this all stems from my favorite coin when I was very young. I was given a well-corroded Colonial copper Connecticut half-cent (?) that was found with a metal detector. I had very similar fellings when I held the coin.

Now to another extreme, I actually like the new Platinum eagles. It is nice to see such a pleasing and unique design that departs from the modern obverse bust designs. Maybe it is just an acquired taste wink.gif

I don't know...

troyozau, I have one that looks just like yours, but mine is a 1982. Very nice coins. Then again, the 1985-1997 5Pds were ruined by that lousy portrait of Elizabeth!

bbrown3, actually the 1985 - 1997 bust by Maklouf is not as bad as the current old bust (from 1998 onwards) by Rank-Broadley. BTW, of the 4 Elizabeth II busts, I like Machin's the best as well. cool.gif

Well, I forgot the 1989 5Pd, Now there is one that will draw you in! As for the current (Ian Rank-Bradley?) bust of Elizabeth, I don't mind it, maybe because that is how I see the Queen on TV nowdays?

I like this powerful rendition of St George and the dragon by William Wyon. I wish they had used this in actual coinage instead of a very few presentation medals. frown.gif

wyon-st-george.jpg

"The Neoclassical style in art history is primarily associated with the Eighteenth century. Some scholars have suggested that Neoclassicism was in vogue between the years circa 1750-1820, but it is important to remember that styles in art are fluid and seldom bound by specific dates.

This style, which was called Neoclassical only after the fact, was influenced by several factors. One of these influences was an artistic reaction against the frivolities and excesses of the Rococo period. Another was the mid 18th century discovery in of two ancient Roman cities - Herculaneum and Pompeii. These cities housed a hidden horde of ancient artifacts and art objects, the design of which created immediate interest in things Greek and Roman. Ultimately, artists combined fashion, politics, and a passion for antiquity to produce the Neoclassical style."

Not a fan of neoclassical art, eh? ooo.gif

When I bought it it was blast white,the toning developped inside its ANACS MS65 slab during a 5 year period of TLC. cloud9.gif

Keep dipping your coins, it works if you work it.... foreheadslap.gif

yeahok.gif