• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Half Dime, 1858-O.

25 posts in this topic

I'm personally not a big fan of Half Dimes or Trimes, not because they are unattractive, but rather because they are so small. With these old eyeballs it's just too tough to see much of anything. However, once you get them under a loupe they can be very attractive indeed, and I certainly like looking at pictures of nice ones. About 6-9 months ago I decided to build a no gold set (well, maybe 1 or 2) of coins from 1858 (100 years before I was born). Of course that means 1 Trime and 2 Half Dimes. Here's the first Half Dime that has really appealed to me from that year. It's clashed up the wazinga, and Lady Liberty has decided to go on a diet by stapling part of her stomach shut. The colors have a nice iridescence to them. The coin is graded NGC MS65 (CAC approved), and I fully agree with the grade.

SLHDime1858O_65_1675Obv.jpg

SLHDime1858O_65_1675Rev.jpg

I love the coin but I am shocked you bought it in a NGC holder...I know how you hate anything smaller than a quarter in their holders becuase the coins get burried in the inserts (I agree) (thumbs u

Wow...the 1858 O...what a beauty!!

If you care to post the reverse, I can try to determine the variety according to Valentine's book.

RI AL

Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

I've been having real troubles with my internet connection at a couple of sites today (both photobucket and collectors society), so things have been happening to my posts, such as the drop out of the reverse on the opening post. I think I managed to fix that. In any case, thank you Ty for posting it.

Shane, yeah, it does look dinky in the NGC plastic, but it's a very pretty dinky so I bought it anyhow.

Very nice half dime, skyMan. (thumbs u

Although they are small, they are also addictive to me.

My 58-O also has thin stomach. I wonder if it's normal for 58-O

Toyo, you have some GORGEOUS!!! half dimes. I can see how one could become addicted to them.

As to the stomach, when I was talking with the dealer I bought this coin from, this question intrigued him so he went through what reference material he had on the subject. Supposedly the Norweb specimen (a MS63) also shows the waist clipping.

Dang it, son!!! It was love at first sight for me! This is a very impressive coin and I liked the trivia tidbit that Toyo added, too.

Siskel and Ebert say two thumbs up!! (thumbs u (thumbs u

Hey there, SKYMAN.

I think I have determined the variety of your beautiful1858-O half dime as Valentine 4. (There are 4 varieties listed in the book). The giveaway is the die break between the 2nd S in "STATES" to O in "OF". As an interesting side note, I also checked The AL Blythe book on Liberty Seated Half dimes. He confirms the die break on the V4 but...Valentine describes the mintmark as "medium" while Blythe says that it is actually a "large" mintmark. Blythe also lists 6 varieties total instead of Valentine's 4, but he confirms the die break as mentioned above in V4. Scarcity is considered a low R-3 in Mint State.

All that information and a few bucks might get you a coffee somewhere, but I find the variety stuff fascinating and just had to figure it out on such a fantastic coin.

RI AL

That's a really attractive half dime, skyman. (thumbs u I relly like the color.

Interestingly a lot of the Philly 1858 half dimes are poorly struck with a lot detail missing. This New Orleans piece has lot of "meat."

I love the coin but I am shocked you bought it in a NGC holder...I know how you hate anything smaller than a quarter in their holders becuase the coins get burried in the inserts (I agree) (thumbs u

I was thinking the same thing! But the coin looks tremendous.

RI AL, thank you for the variety info. It's always interesting/fun to learn more about the coins that you own.