• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NEWP 1853....

22 posts in this topic

Richard,

That is as nice a braided hair large cent as I have ever seen. I hope you will provide better pics for us to look at, I promise not to drool on the coin! (thumbs u

Jim

Richard,

That is as nice a braided hair large cent as I have ever seen. I hope you will provide better pics for us to look at, I promise not to drool on the coin! (thumbs u

Jim

No it isn't, but it might be as nice of a Braided Hair Half Cent as you've seen (Edited to add: And the Half Cent is a much tougher type coin in that condition) ;)

That is a very good looking coin, Richard! (thumbs u

Thanks all.

I've actually watched this coin "raw" for almost 2 years at a local coin shop. I always admired it and felt that it was nice. In that "copper" is definately not my strong suit it used to bother me that a coin that nice looking wasn't in a slab although I didn't really know what to look for... especially color-wise.

At any rate at one of the shows earlier this year I spoke to the dealer that has had the coin and asked him if he'd ever sent it in for grading and he said no. I commented that it sure looked nice and he should send it in.

Well he decided to do just that and it came back 65... of course this meant I now had to pay a little more...

The coin has beautiful surfaces and is way nicer than these pic. I'm very very happy to have been able to add it to my set.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Richard

Thanks all.

I've actually watched this coin "raw" for almost 2 years at a local coin shop. I always admired it and felt that it was nice. In that "copper" is definately not my strong suit it used to bother me that a coin that nice looking wasn't in a slab although I didn't really know what to look for... especially color-wise.

At any rate at one of the shows earlier this year I spoke to the dealer that has had the coin and asked him if he'd ever sent it in for grading and he said no. I commented that it sure looked nice and he should send it in.

Well he decided to do just that and it came back 65... of course this meant I now had to pay a little more...

The coin has beautiful surfaces and is way nicer than these pic. I'm very very happy to have been able to add it to my set.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Richard

Oops, if it was uncertified until recently there must have been something wrong with it and I don't like it anymore. :(

:devil:

That's a beautiful example of the type. The surfaces look evenly colored with no spots or stains that are all too common and the luster looks about as good as you can expect on brown copper. I always prefered brown over red or red-brown anyway.

I collected these for a while but never had one better than MS63. I still have most of my slabbed ones but got rid of most of the raw ones. Maybe I need to trade a few up on a nice one like yours. (thumbs u

Great looking coin!

even if it isn't "circulated" ;)

I like it!!! (thumbs u

It just goes to show how a brown copper coin can be just as desirable as the red ones. And most of the so-called "red" half cents from this era (1850s) are either dull and ugly or got their color, which does not fool those who know) from a bottle.

It makes me want to upgrade some my coins, but I’m doing that until I fill all of the REAL holes – with no coins in them.