• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has bought Gold from Gainesville Coins?

22 posts in this topic

I'm considering placing an order with Gainesville coins for a 1932 $10 Indian (hopefully MS64 or MS65 if I can talk my step-father into it). Has anyone had any good/bad experience with them concerning gold in the past?

I had one bad coin from them, ASE ms69 graded by NGC. The surface was scratched bad but that would not be Gainesville Coins fault. I have purchased a few other coins and have had no problems. Costumer service was great the one time I had to contact them. They are OK in my book.

I had one bad coin from them, ASE ms69 graded by NGC. The surface was scratched bad but that would not be Gainesville Coins fault. I have purchased a few other coins and have had no problems. Costumer service was great the one time I had to contact them. They are OK in my book.

I've dealt with them several times in the past for modern silver but I'm a little more concerned about sight-unseen pre-1933 gold.

I was considering starting a circulated gold type set of original gold. I meticulously explained my criteria and what I was looking for. the guy said he had exactly what I wanted. I get the coin and it was cleaned and unnatural. I would never order from them again.

I was considering starting a circulated gold type set of original gold. I meticulously explained my criteria and what I was looking for. the guy said he had exactly what I wanted. I get the coin and it was cleaned and unnatural. I would never order from them again.

See. That's the kinda thing I'm concerned about.

I've dealt with them several times in the past for modern silver but I'm a little more concerned about sight-unseen pre-1933 gold.

Sorry, with that department I can't help.

I've bought from them many times in the past, their pictures leave a lot to be desired, but their prices are very fair. Fast delivery, and easy communication is a plus.

Seeing as they don't normally supply descriptions with their coins, I would have to see a coin in hand if it was an expensive purchase.

Then again, they always have a return policy.

I bought the first three first spouses from them and the price was more than fair and the coins were gorgeous. No problems noted what so ever. I will work with them in the future.

I have bought several Gold and Silver Coins from Gainsville. Every transaction has turned out positive. Definitely the cheapest online store for the small time investor. I heard they were operated by 3 twenty year olds so I started looking other places. I have also bought from NWTmint (overpriced - very seldom do they have something reasonably market up from spot), apex is the only other website I would recommend besides Gainesville. I haven't bought from either in a while cause I signed onto http://silversnowball.com/1584 I get my silver way below spot now.

sean scruby

www.oldeworldinvestments.com

sean.scruby@oldeworldinvestments.com

707-812-3699

P.O. Box 4619

Aspen, CO. 81611

I have bought several coins from them. I only buy gold that is certified by PCGS/NGC and has clear pictures, just as I would from any other dealer. I also have bought silver, bullion coins from them (again certified). Their Customer Service is prompt on replies, is good and they ship quickly. I have no problems with them.

I had one bad coin from them, ASE ms69 graded by NGC. The surface was scratched bad but that would not be Gainesville Coins fault.

Why isn't it their fault?

Yes, NGC graded the coin, but legitimate dealers just don't buy the holder; they buy the coin inside. A legitimate dealer rejects the coins that don't measure up to industry standards or avoids selling them to their retail customers. When I had to buy a coin I did not like to complete a deal, or when I got back a coin that had been over graded by the coin service, I made sure wholesaled that piece to another dealer. I did not put it out for retail sale.

I had one bad coin from them, ASE ms69 graded by NGC. The surface was scratched bad but that would not be Gainesville Coins fault.

Yes, NGC graded the coin, but legitimate dealers just don't buy the holder; they buy the coin inside. A legitimate dealer rejects the coins that don't measure up to industry standards or avoids selling them to their retail customers. When I had to buy a coin I did not like to complete a deal, or when I got back a coin that had been over graded by the coin service, I made sure wholesaled that piece to another dealer. I did not put it out for retail sale.

Sometimes, a coin that is described by one person as "The surface was scratched bad" is perfectly acceptable to others at the assigned grade.

Sorry Mark, but some how the phrase "The surface was scratched bad" and the grade, MS-69, do not go together. So far as I'm concerned, an MS-69 does not have a mark that can be seen easily. From a naked eye perspective, there should be only one mark and it should be very, very minor.

One of my Saints I bought from them, can't remember which one, probably one of the 08-WMs, thought I can't be sure. Either way, no problems with them, the price was fair and the coin is still in my collection.

Any chance those scratches were die polish?

I don't know if this is worth bringing up, but I asked this question over 14 months ago guys. I took the input and bought the coin. I understand that there's now apparently an issue of whose fault it is if a the buyer dislikes a coin for the grade, but my initial question is resolved.