• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a good common coin to get slabbed?

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I was trying to figure out what to do with my free NGC submissions. I thought I might go to a coin shop and try to find a common coin(s) to get slabbed. I am an absolute novice to coin collecting. I collect comics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. confused.gif

Hey there smile.gif and welcome to this neck of the woods. 1st a few questions.

1. what kinda budget are we talking about here?

2. you have any particular interest in any specific area of coins?

One idea might be to search the pop reports of modern coins to see what types and years don't have many high end MS coins. Then a trip to the coin shop to look at some nice raw coins to grade and buy. If you're good and lucky you might come up with a pop 1 coin that someone trying to upgrade a registry set might be willing to pay a hefty premium for. It's a longshot but might be fun to try without breaking the bank. Kennedys come to mind.

[i was thinking of the price range of $20 to $50 (6 coins). I was thinking of quarters or silver dollars but what do I know. What is the most popular coin to collect? I am thinking more of resale value.]

Resale? As in you want to turn them around, quickly, for a profit? If thats the case, best of luck.

$20-50 each coin or for all 6? If you ware talking per coin might I suggest.

#1 1883 "w/o cents" Liberty Nickel MS63

#2 1892 Columbian MS62/3

#3 1931-S Lincoln MS62 Brown

#4 1916 Mercury Dime MS63 fullband

#5 1881-S Morgan $ MS63 Proof Like

#6 1924 Peace $ MS64

Above would give you a variety of coins, see what ya like. Possibly even start collecting coins outta it smile.gif All the coins listed above are in the $20-50 price range

[What are considered modern coins?]

It varies depending on what collector you are talking to.

IMO, "modern" is any coin minted 1932-present. Some folks go w/ 1964, NGC says 1955. Like I said, it varies smile.gif

Good question. I think opinions vary. Some put a cutoff date of maybe 1900 but I think any modern coin is one still used in circulation since there haven't been any real changes (state quarters are still Washington quarters) since the Kennedy half in 1964. Dollar coins don't count. None of that denomination has lasted more than a few years after silver dollars so any dollar coin after the the Peace dollar should be considered modern.

One thing to consider is that if you are going to have the coins slabbed then you will have to buy them raw. If you buy them raw then you will have to grade them yourself so that they will grade at the grade you want.

Unless you are able to accurately grade coins or can buy them from someone who is reliable you run the risk of submitting them and having them come back at a lower grade.

You get 3 free NGC submissions when you join the collector's society. I intend to renew my subscription.

Can you guys recommend any honest dealers who sell raw coins and their web site. Since I don't know how to grade I don't want to get ripped off. Thank you.