• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is why coin dealers are looked at just higher than vermin...

101 posts in this topic

Delivery confirmation does not prove that the recipient ever received the item, it only proves that someone within the post office of destination scanned the item into the database.

This is very correct. I just checked the status of a package I won off eBay from a forum member. It shows as being delivered today. However, I didn't get it from my PO Box today, so all that really means is that it arrived at my Post Office and is likely going to be put in my POB in the very near future.

A few weeks ago I shipped two boxes to a forum member. They still don't show as being delivered, but they were delivered long ago.

Delivery Confirmation...um....sucks!

Delivery confirmation does not prove that the recipient ever received the item, it only proves that someone within the post office of destination scanned the item into the database.

This is very correct. I just checked the status of a package I won off eBay from a forum member. It shows as being delivered today. However, I didn't get it from my PO Box today, so all that really means is that it arrived at my Post Office and is likely going to be put in my POB in the very near future.

A few weeks ago I shipped two boxes to a forum member. They still don't show as being delivered, but they were delivered long ago.

So, is signature confirmation better? Can you use it on first class mail?

yep and yep

Again. It is not the Money in my case.It is about the peace of mind. This is why most people buy Insurance Whether it is Life Insurance or Health Insurance or DentalInsurance or mailing a Package.

My point has never been the cost. People don't have to bid on the item if they don't like the costs but if you are bidding on the item then you are agreeing to the costs.

My question was related to my experiences and a few other posters. These experiences left a question mark in some cases as to whether the actions of a Seller were indicative of Integrity. If you bid on an item and are the successful bidder and the cost is $500.00 and you pay a few dollars for Insurance and the item is lost then you have not lost a few dollars . You have lost $500.00 plus costs.

The problem is that the Buyer is at the Mercy of the Seller and there is no guarantee that the Seller is going to make that loss good just because they say " I will not be responsible for loss if the Buyer does not purchase Insurance". It is implied that they will be responsible if the item is lost but really doesnt say that .

It might be that 90% of the Buyers will honor the loss whether they are self Insured or buy it through another party. There is no guarantee that they are going to make it good regardless of their statements and even if you have done business with them in the past.

It would not affect me if Gas was $10.00 a gallon. I can think of a lot of advantages for myself if that was the case.

You need to read my posts over again or have somebody read them for you. I have never complaied about the fees. I have said in each and every one of my posts that by bidding on the item " I have agreed to any and all fees".Can't make it much simpler .

Different Sellers have different terms.

1. Some offer no Insurance

2. Some ship First class and include the Insurance in the cost.

3. Some ship Priority and include the Insurance in the cost.

4. Some ship First class or Priority and charge an extra optional fee for Insurance.

5. Some give you a choice beeen shipping First Class and Priority.

6. Some charge you a certain fee and it is the exact fee they use and some charge you a certain fee and pay less for postage etc.

So what?. It has never been about the fee/s for me. If you bid on the item then you are agreeing to pay the fees/postage.If this is not understood then somebody that understands the messages need to read it for you.

That is correct. When the item is mailed at the Post office and a Delivery confirmation is purchased then the Seller can track it and if he gives the number to the Buyer than the Buyer can also track it. When the item reaches its destination then the mail carrier scans it and outs it in your mail box.

You will then see a note that it has been delivered at the address if you look it up on the Internet. If you are not there to receive the item and it is stolen from your mailbox then the Seller knows that it has been delivered to its destination.

If the package has been Insured then the Buyer has to sign for it.If the Buyer purchases the optional Insurance but the Seller does not purchase it through the Post Office then the Mail carrier merely puts it in your mailbox. If it is not in your mailbox in a sufficient number of days then you do not know if :

1. The item has been lost.

2. The item has been stolen

3. The item was even sent

If there isn't even a delivery confirmation then you don't even know if it was sent and reached the destination.I don't care if the Seller asked for $2.00 and then only purchased a deleivery confirmation for a few cents. At least there would be some record or possible recourse.

It has never been about the cost for me. I could care less whether a Seller puhased it through the USPS or any other carrier or is self insured and charges enough to cover future losses or whatever.Who cares?

The fact of the matter is that there is nothing in place on EBAy or any statements that will ensure that there is any recourse toward the Seller to ensure that if you pay for the Insurance that the Seller will honor his/her item if it is lost etc and EBAY could care less. EBay has even stated that " they are merely a middleman that acts as a link between a Buyer and a Seller for the exchange of Merchandise for Money and any problems that arise are between the Buyer and the Seller".

The Buyer is at the Mercy of the Seller contrary to those that want to believe that all 100% of them are Honest etc. and will do the right thing.

Thanks, Zachary!

(thumbs u (thumbs u

In a pathetic attempt to completely derail this monstrosity of a thread, how is that half dime treating you?

You are correct. That situation could have been avoided if the Buyer had read the terms of the Seller. THe Seller escalated it and made it Personal.

Twice I have had the Seller lie to me and state that they have shipped the item when this has not been the case. If you are told that the item has been shipped and you don't receive it in a reasonable number of days then I ask about it. If you have purchased Insurance from a Seller in such and such a State and you see on the News where there are Floods or Tornados etc and you haven't received your item then you begin to wonder. In one case I did not bid at all. The Seller had a 99.1 % positive feedback. I noticed one that gave a positive feedback that stated " it took over a month to receive the coin but it was worth it". I checked each and every sale for the three months there were "details" and found that shipping was really fast for non coin items but took 4-6 weeks for all coins.

So at what point in that 6 week period do you start to wonder when there is no record of the item being shipped because the Seller is self Insured or whatever?Also I shouldn't hace to read three months of individual feeback to see when biddind ended and the item was received.

The " Terms' are only as good as the Individual seller and might not mean anything as far as the Individual Buyer is concerned even if he/she abides by the 'terms". There is no legal contract between the Buyer and the Seller that the Seller will make it good. Only that they will no be responsible for any losses if the optional Insurance has not been purchased.

Just because a person is a Businessman does not mean they are a smart businessman. You show that with your HVAC example. You don't think that you are the only one that was treated unfairly?I purchased some some Furniture from a National concern last year .I had a few minor problems and nobody came out to take care of them for almost three weeks. They also were including a cleaning kit that I never received and every time I called I was told that it was on order. Once the Furniture is delivered then you have to deal exclusively with the Warehouse. I wote the Manager of the Store who made a big deal out of meeting me when I bought it. I wrote a personal letter that was very courteous detailing my concerns and that I could not recommend their Company to others and would relate my experiences if asked by them.

I never received an answer but I still get advertisements in the Mail for their Sales and letters for Special events etc.They lost a Customer who paid in Cash and would have been loyal. They don't care as they will always be able to get Customers even if for only one time.

yep and yep

According to my PO, sig conf can only be used on 1st Class packages or priority mail, etc.

(shrug)