• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whatcha Think of Dirty Coins?

21 posts in this topic

I bought this most common year of the Trade Dollars about 4 months ago after seeing so many that were cleaned. The dealer also showed me several counterfeit versions (to educate me) and I guess I went in the other direction and decided to have a "dirty" and surely original coin in my collection. What do my fellow collectors think about having such grimy coin in your collection? Do you find it distracting or unpleasant? And, while I'm at it, would you grade this as EF?

1877-STradeDollarObverse.jpg

Obverse Detail

1877-STradeDollarLiberty.jpg

Reverse

1877-STradeDollarReverse.jpg

Reverse Motto

1877-STradeDollarMotto.jpg

your 1877-s catbert was a coin that mostly was exported to china

so chopmarked coins of this date and mintmark combination are readily available

there are 7 varities of the s mintmark in combination with the obverse die

this coin when it was minted had a melt value of 95 cents and the 77-s trade dollar was the highwater mark for mintage in the trade dollar series

there supposely is a 77-s trade dollar with a type 2 obverse and type one reverse, but are any confirmed??

Welcome to the boards Catbert! Can't have too many cats hanging around.:banana::headbang::banana:

Like those who have posted before me, I too love crusty coins like your TD! (thumbs u

In the early days of third party grading I feel your coin would have been slabbed a VF30, but I believe that a EF40 is what you could get these days.

Here's an extra fine TD that I've owned for nearly thirty years and have no plans to part will it any time soon. Even when this coin was bagged by NGC for cleaning I didn't change my opinion about it.

1878-S-dollar.jpg