• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1830 Bust Half is in w/ My Pics w/ New Edge Pictures

24 posts in this topic

I like the details - there is a small scratch across the shield - It has edge lettering that is printed over the half ( what is it suposed to be ) - It has some hairline scratches right where the nose and chin is and follows to the edge - Definitley not cleaning but 'sliding' mark ? The edges are a little rough - IS that normal for this type of 'used' coinage ??

54514-1830_1.jpg.7a8e376fb12b97054d569aa62f027354.jpg

54515-1830_2.jpg.f2bd41f99af39ee14246e34bfef1c94b.jpg

54562-edge_pics.jpg.9fb43a55e44d100f52654acc1223d817.jpg

Very nice CBH and great pic's MIke

They are by hand - You can tell by the blurry picture of the reverse :(

Very nice CBH and great pic's MIke

They are by hand - You can tell by the blurry picture of the reverse :(

Blurry have you looked at my pic's lately? Them there look crystal clear compared to what I normally look at lol

No Ones answering my questions :( -

What is it that is overprinting the "HALF" on the side another "OL" from another "DOLLAR" ??

AND Are the edges usually that rough in this grade of coin ???

oohh la la!!! I like that one!!!

great strike, nice surfaces, great edge shot, thanks!!!

send it to pcgs or ngc if you want it holdered, depending whose holder you prefer for it (clear plastic or white exterior)

this is a coin you should be proud of...I'm assuming it's luster is intact for the grade.

I don't know what you mean by rough? you mean the very very edge which appears like it's been banged a little?

the edge lettering is done with a castaing machine, and cranked through, BEFORE the obverse and reverse are struck. I don't know excatly what happened while they were passing this planchet through, but somehow it probably rolled backwards a little and then put foward again, causing the overlapping. I'd photograph the WHOLE egde in a series of photos. I just hold the coin with my fingers, ON THE EDGES and take shots of all the areas, usually in 4-5 shots.

I don't know what you mean by rough? you mean the very very edge which appears like it's been banged a little?

Ahhh so 'banged up' is the proper term ahahhaha yes Thats what I mean :)

but somehow it probably rolled backwards a little and then put foward again, causing the overlapping.

They are different letters so I do not think that is the case here .. "OL" of "H"

I'd photograph the WHOLE egde in a series of photos. I just hold the coin with my fingers, ON THE EDGES and take shots of all the areas, usually in 4-5 shots.

It goes like this ... I will picture it later.

Edge lettering ( * FIFTY CENTS OLHALF A J DOLLAR )

OLHALF is pictured above

No Ones answering my questions :( -

What is it that is overprinting the "HALF" on the side another "OL" from another "DOLLAR" ??

AND Are the edges usually that rough in this grade of coin ???

The "roughness" and the overlapped lettering you see both resulted from the same cause - faulty progress through the Castaing machine (which applies the edge lettering). The coin did not feed through properly, hence the minor mint-caused issues. It is not an uncommon "problem" with these hand-manufactured coins.

Hello.

Regarding the overprinting on the rim, I believe this to be fairly common in the series. Though my type example is an 1827, I remember worrying about the rim overprinting too but ANACS had no problem with it. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what was "overprinted" and it can't be seen in the slab. Wish I could be more help.

RI AL

More importantly, it seems to have an experimental edge with the diagonal lines, this is referenced on pg. 672 of the Overton 3rd Edition and is WAY COOL!!!

More importantly, it seems to have an experimental edge with the diagonal lines, this is referenced on pg. 672 of the Overton 3rd Edition and is WAY COOL!!!

A few More questions ...

IS this really an experimental edge ???

I may certified this coin.

Who should I send it to that will grade this coin fairly accurately NGC or PCGS?

Would they put experimental edge on the holder ??

What do you think I can expect for a grade on this coin??

Thanks again

That's right...I didn't notice those lines.

PCGS and NGC will attribute the bust half according to Overton number, but won't say anything about the edge.

The only time these two grading companies will say anything about the edge, is with the 1809 xxx and IIII edge.

It was purchased as an O-111

Does this seem correct and what is its R factor for curiosity sake

m