• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do you think of these morgans...

11 posts in this topic

I have a feeling that the pictures are not a true representation of the coins.

The reasons could be many, however I notice that poor photography is sometimes used to hide problems with the coins (especially the CC).

Then again maybe he just takes really lousy pics.

The 97' looks to have some scratches or hairlines on the Obv and also what looks like two deep scratches. Possibly MS62

The 90'CC looks to have hairlines on both sides of the coin to me. Looks like a bright pic to cover them up.PROBLEM COIN!! (added: Does not look DMPL or PL)

The 91' is not too bad. Couple nics here and there, Possibly MS63

The 94' has a bad rim ding that may bodybag this coin. Also a couple nics on liberty's face. Possible hairlines on the cheek hard to tell. Another MS63.

This is just my opinion as the pics are not the greatest representation for these coins.

As bobby said, I think these seem to be overgraded. To me, CH BU implies a grade of at least MS-64 to 65. I would not grade any of them higher than MS-63, and based on the pictures I would not bid above MS-62 levels. They don't appear to be problem coins, based on the pictures, but I wouldn't bid aggressively on them, either. With that picture, I would be highly suspicious of any DMPL designation as well.

choice is 63, Gem 65, is it not? very few MS 65 raw Morgans floating around as thats where most years/marks really pick up the price so Im leary of claims of raw Morgans being any more than choice. Sometimes the "choice unc" is actually MS60 in your hand. lol Ive gotten a couple of those but the price was right. Ive also been blown away by much nicer coin than the pics once in a while too. Buying from digital pics can be a shoot.

I have a lot of nice Morgans from crappy pics on ebay. I just stop at greysheet bid

no regrets on any so far, if you start bidding as though its a premium coin you had better know the seller and his return policy very well.

All those above look like pretty decent album coins to me. Although you probably are not anyway, I wouldnt bid on them just hoping they will slab for a profit.

This is the way to do it. I set a Price I am willing to bid based on my judgement. When it exceeds that price I just walk away.Many times the Bids get above the a Bin on the same page for the same coin. I have never been able to understand this. There are several coins where the staring bid is above the Numismedia price here when the coins are in NGC Holders.

There is no way the people that bid such prices have the remotest idea of the value of a coin.

Ch BU is MS-63.

Having said that I think that that the 1897-O and the 1890-CC fall short of that. They are MS-62 at best and the 1890-CC migh have so much going on to the right of the date that it could fall into the AU-58 to MS-61 class. The thrid piece could be MS-63, but you can't be certain from these photos.