• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle Monster Box Roll

8 posts in this topic

I bought a monster box roll of (20) 2008 silver eagles just to put away because I finally have the money to do so. These coins are pretty much 'locked' in to place inside this tube and don't move even if you try to shake the tube. I just received a tube of 1999 silver eagles inside a similar roll. These coins will jingle if you shake the roll and will fall right out of the tube if you take the top off and turn it over. Is this normal? I guess I just thought all silver eagles would be immobilized inside the green monster box tube just like the 2008 silver eagles. Any insight is appreciated. - Paul

There is a chance that the 1999 roll has been picked through and then put back together. That possibility also exists for 2008 roll but the later the date the more likelihood that somebody took a peek before selling.

I have a roll from every year, and yes, I believe this is normal, the last few years have been tight, the early years are usually loose.

A few years ago they seem to have very slighly reduced the diameter of the tubes becuse suddenly there started to be a lot of threads about how difficult it was to get the eagles out of the tubes. People were literally pounding the tubes down on towels on tabletops and such in order to get the coins out of them. They would slam them down and knock a couple of pieces loose, take those out and slm it down again to get a couple more and so on.

I Have 99-08 rolls and some are loose and some are tight. Don't know why they don't put a pull tab around them like some other cans do, that way we would know if they were open and picked through. Congrats on the purchase. Bought mine before the price of silver went up.