• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would you do with $1000.00 at a major coin show?

21 posts in this topic

you have to spend it all on coins.......................

what would you buy hm

i would buy a nice early colonial copper probably the nicest mass. half cent i could find................. and if not that then the nicest new jersey horses head copper i could find

and if not this coin then an originial beautiful orange green gold classic head 5 dollar in a nice circulated grade with good details!!

Not much. I often have $1,000 available when I go to shows and I am seldom able to spend much of it because the material I collect is usually not available. I usually have to settle for one or two slab varieties that I don't already have. I don't think I've bought a coin I needed at a show since Nov 2006.

And at MAJOR shows I spend most of my time in meetings and attending lectures. I spend very little time if any on the bourse floor. I don't think I have ever bought a coin at a MAJOR show.

A thousand dollar spending spree with coins in today's market is like giving a kid a quarter in a candy story and says to "knock yourself out."

It just doesn't go far in filling my type set.

I don't think I have ever bought a coin at a MAJOR show.

WOW! I'm surprised. :o I would have thought that you would bought quite a few coins at the major shows given you advanced status.

Well, as for myself, I'd try to fill the holes in my type set. But the way things are now there is very little for me to buy even at the national shows. The supply of coins is very thin, and some of the pieces I need $100 grand would not be enough :o, For the other coins, grade-flation, poor selction and over the top prices have made it very tough for me.

Here's an example I need a NICE PCGS or NGC PR-64 Liberty Seated No Mottol half dollar. I'd even consider one in Mint State if I liked it. But at the recent FUN show there was NOTHING. All I saw was ugly, over graded and over priced. I also need a 1795 half cent, an 1873-4 with arrows dime, and an 1854-5 with arrows quarter. I can't find them.

There was 1795 half cent that was a VF-30 in a recent Internet auction. I REALLY want an EF or AU for this slot to match the other pieces I have from that era. It lists in Coin Prices magazine (retail guide) for $3.500. I bid $4,485, including the buyers' fee, and was out bid by a wide margin. :o

For nice stuff this market is a bear ... :sumo:

Not much. I often have $1,000 available when I go to shows and I am seldom able to spend much of it because the material I collect is usually not available. I usually have to settle for one or two slab varieties that I don't already have. I don't think I've bought a coin I needed at a show since Nov 2006.

I took $3,000 in cash, my checkbook and credit card to FUN last January. I went home with $2,100 and didn't use the credit card or the checkbook. I spent about $300 on non-coin essentials and another $85 procuring medals for a couple of our board members. I saw a few coins that really tempted me, but I didn't feel they justified the prices asked.

If someone were given the cash with the proviso that they had to spend it, they might not spend it wisely. So, Michael, in response to your original post, I would spend the $1,000 only if an opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, I'd keep it for another day.

Chris

well being that i HAVE to spend, i would buy coins that could then be flipped if graded and make more off my $1000 then use the profit to buy for my needs :)

Buy a hot dog and a coke from the concession stand. ;)

Yea, given the quality of the food at some convention center concession stands, the hot dog will repeat and the coke will be watered down with flat soda. :sick:

Another option I might work on with the $1000 would be completing and upgrading what I have so far in my Walking Liberty short-set. $1000 is about right for a complete set in BU!

this is a great question.

with just 1,000.00 I'd certainly buy only what I really know and understand

first thing I thought of was to look for a really really nice half cent, any grade, just perfect planchet, beautiful, wonderful half cent, or that perfect bustie...any grade...or some really original gold $5 or greater because that is what I like...i'd buy something that took a lot of looking and searching to find, something that made the hunt all the more exciting...

or a great trade dollar with chop marks, and with any money I had left over, I'd buy myself a frankfurter with red onions and lots of mustard...

I would look for a couple of nice, scarcer NGC FBL Franklins with good toning. I won't find any, of course, but I'll look anyways. Then I'll look for some good stuff for my French colonial set - $1000 will go a very long ways in that set, most of the stuff is pretty cheap when you can find the right things. Maybe if I have some money left over I will go and get a nice EF or so dark grey Busty with that special look.

I would acquire as many shield nickel Cherry's i could find in bargain boxes or job lot of junk box coins (if they sell them in the USA) If i could not find any of these i would look for 1971 Stars PF68-69's

:insane::devil:

I've never found $1000 worth of material that I wanted to buy at the five ANA shows I have attended but that is because I only collect World coins. The same thing happened this past Friday. It only took me 90 minutes to fly buy all the dealer tables and buy the few things I did. One day, I will attend either the NY or Chicago coins fairs and hopefully it will be better.