• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have my proof coins graded?

5 posts in this topic

I'm new to this site as of yesterday. I have purchased the US Mint silver proof sets for several years becuase I just thought they were cool. Then, the last couple of years, I have gotten into silver eagle bullion coins and proofs from the mint. I don't really consider myself a collector yet, but am considering broadening my horizons. I have a few coins like the bald eagle silver dollar, 2002 olympics dollar coin, mainly specialty coins, as well as a few years of the silver eagle proofs. I have noticed that these coins sell for significantly more when receiving a higher grading, and when receiving a 69 grade, they still seem to sell for enough to recover the cost of having them graded. I didn't buy these coins to sell them, I just bought them because they look cool. I like the display cases they come in, except for the cheap plastic coin holder itself. The folding, ring-type box is really nice though. If I had them graded, they wouldn't be in them anymore.

I'm just asking for some advice, advantages/disadvantages about having new US Mint coins graded. It's pretty easy to see the benefits of grading old coins, but what about new ones? I plan on keeping them for a long time, not necessarily selling them, but I am finding myself becoming interested in perhaps trading (buying/selling) coins on eBay or elsewhere.

Thanks,

A Newbie

Welcome to the forum!! I think that most of the coins you mention are better off in the mint packaging. Most modern commemoratives can easily get 69 grades when submitted soon after release but after a while, the Mints coins tend to get issues with them that may keep them from reaching 69. My own opinion for these is that they will always get a better premium if left in the mint packaging than in a slab.

I think that modern U.S. coins lose a lot of character when they are taken from their mint holders and placed in a slab. I think that most collectors prefer to have the coin in the original mint boxes and holders with the certificates of authenticity.

There are only two reasons why modern coins are placed in slabs. First, if the coin makes it to a PR-70 holder there are those who will pay high prices for them. Second, if you want to enter the coin into a registry set, they need to be certified. Otherwise, for most collectors, keeping them pristine in their mintage packaging is better.

Welcome to the neighborhood. Being new to the hobby, let me offer some words of caution regarding eBay. If you don't know what you are doing, you will get burned. There are plenty of less-than-honest people using eBay, and they prey on folks just like you. Just because a coin is in a slab doesn't mean anything. There are legitimate grading services that are notorious for overgrading, there are also instances where even the best grading services can and do make mistakes. You must remember one caveat, "Buy the coin, not the holder." But, even that can be difficult on eBay because there are some sellers who are very proficient at manipulating photos.

Before jumping headlong into numismatics, it is important to learn about coins and grading. Two books that would be helpful are the Red Book of United States Coins and the ANA Grading Standards.

Chris