• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Ceylon Edward VIII Fantasy Crown

9 posts in this topic

After the death of George V, his eldest son succeeded to the throne as Edward VIII but abdicated on 1936 December 10th before he was crowned in order to marry Wallis Simpson.

Coins dated 1937, including a handful of proofs sets, were prepared for issue at the time of Edward VIII coronation (May 1937). A few hundred dies for coins were scrapped when he abdicated.

This is a fantasy piece struck in 1954 by Geoffrey Hearn who decided to make some additional "coins" of King Edward for the colonies that didn't actually have circulating coins produced in his name.

It is made of .925 Silver and the "Originals" are 28.10 grams. Original Mintage: Proof 100, Prooflike 500

A dealer named Richard Lobel purchased the the original Hearn dies and restruck these in 1984. He used a slightly larger planchet and the restrikes are of lower quality.

ceylon-obverse.jpg

ceylon-reverse.jpg

Most of this info was collected from different web sites over the years. I purchased one of the originals back in the late 1980's.

Now my question, the restrikes frequently sell in the $20-$30 range. Anyone know what the originals are going for?

Greg -

Not sure if you are asking about the original Edward VIII patterns - or the fantasy coins struck in '54. But one of the patterns recently sold for $82,305.00.

As for the coins from '54 - I know where two of them are for sale. They are both the same design as the coin you have pictured. One is in gilt bronze ( $80.00 ) the other is in silver I believe ( $60.00 ). I am told the silver coin had a mintage of 500 pieces. If you wish to know more - I'd be happy to tell how to contact the seller.

The image of coin posted above from my website

http://lakdiva.org/coins/fantasy/1936_crown.html

is an original 1954 Silver Proof-like purchased for $50 in 1998

The lakdiva.org/coins/ website gives lot more information

about this Fantasy.

It was reminted in 1984. The Fantasies recently appearing

on ebay auction in large number is from a very recent mintage

probably in Australia. I have been unable to findout

how many were minted by whom. If anyone know please

reply to this posting. Thanks

This is interesting. I have a fantasy piece like this, but with a different reverse. I can't recall the reverse, but I believe it is a commonwealth coat of arms. I wonder if these fantasy pieces were issued with various different designs.

TRUTH

This is interesting. I have a fantasy piece like this, but with a different reverse. I can't recall the reverse, but I believe it is a commonwealth coat of arms. I wonder if these fantasy pieces were issued with various different designs.

Yes they were. I remember reading how the obverse dies were paired with several different reverses.

After the death of George V, his eldest son succeeded to the throne as Edward VIII but abdicated on 1936 December 10th before he was crowned in order to marry Wallis Simpson.

What's this? Taking a little more interest in the history surrounding your coins?

I find Edward VIII coins kind of neat in view of how quik he was in and out.

-JamminJ

What's this? Taking a little more interest in the history surrounding your coins?

Yep. Actually, I may have gotten much of my info from Kavan's site. I knew basically nothing about it when I purchased it. Just looked neat.

I find Edward VIII coins kind of neat in view of how quik he was in and out.

He could be yours for a "hand". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He could be yours for a "hand". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm very fond of the "hand" so you'f have to offer something much better, like a Queen Mum piedford, to pry the hand from my, err, hands.

-JamminJ