• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on possible Lincoln error

19 posts in this topic

I pulled this lincoln out of a roll. I've run across a few "clipped" coins in my years but this one appears to be "double clipped". I'm trying to come up with a working scenario of how it could have happened in the mint. The 2 clips are not quite 90 degrees (which would be a possible explanation if it was a corner of a plachet material sheet) apart. I am convinced that these are NOT post mint cuts. With the coin in hand, it clearly has been this way since minting.

Any thoughts?

53919-dblclipo.JPG.13e4b4c930b8a4db5d8676e74fd1d9db.JPG

53920-dblclipr2.JPG.58c0d3c980cc8560deeaa04c40257a5d.JPG

53922-kruggerand041.JPG.66befec979a8437096916111c0299a1f.JPG

It appears to be a genuine clip to me, I think I see traces of the Blakesley effect along the rim.

Pretty neat!

I'm not too familiar with errors so here's the dummy question... what's the "Blakesley effect"?

Disregard answer: I googled it! Duh!

There is also the faint origins of a third clip.

53919-dblclipo.jpg53920-dblclipr2.jpg

I think, if I'm not mistaken, that is the "Blakesley effect.

Yep, sure is.

Isn't the Blakelsey supposed to be 180 degrees opposite the clip? In this case it doesn't seem to be. Tere is a problem with it being a tird clip as well sinc it seems to be in an "impossible" position. (This is a problem I often have with multiple clips. In many cases one or more of the clips is an "impossible position" clip, at least wit my understanding of how clips are created. Frankly I haven't been able to see how a triple or quad clip can even happen.)

I think, if I'm not mistaken, that is the "Blakesley effect.

That is not the Blakeslee effect. The Blakeslee occurs exactly opposite of the clip and is a result of the coin going through the upsetting process where the "rim" is created. The coin, having been heated for softening, is rolled though an area that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the blank. The pressure from this "squeeze" is what creates the rim. When a clip occurs on the blank, the width of the coin being less does not allow for a rim to be squeezed exactly opposite the clip. The end result is often a slight bulge in the circumference of the coin opposite the clip.

For conder101, normally I would have a problem with a triple and a quad clips unless the blank were punched near the edge of the strip (straight clip) where an overlap occured with two round holes and the newly punched blank overlapping the top edge for a triple and the top edge and left or right edge for a quad clip. Straight clips do occur with some regularity and witht he US Mints high speed production and QA, anything is possible.

Ok I can see how a triple clip could occur, but it would have to be at the very trailing end of the strip and could only occur as a straight clip at 6:00 and two curved clips at 10 and 2, or two straight clips and one curved (9,6 straight and 2 curved, or 6, 3 straight and 10 curved). A triple curved clip or quad clip should only be able to exist as a "bow tie" scrap piece.