• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I deserve the venerable 'U Suck" Award ...

36 posts in this topic

On the boards here we have been bandying about grades on Columbian Half dollars - I know I am pretty good at grading them so I decided to jump on the bay and buy a couple that I think are UNPLAYED with and untouched. I will grade them in my head and on the boards then send in to NGC for slabbing - Eventually for resale and profit long term - game playing short term. Obviously we all try to do this but its tough to find anything that is worth your time and trouble.

Well that said I found an auction that had BOTH dates '92 & '93 in one auction - They are BOTH evenly matched end roll toners and what I think is a high grade. Of course the pictures are small but decernable enough in my mind to hit the button.

I picked BOTH up for $70

Look forward to the game when they come in when I take there pictures - These two are going to make one hell of a MATCHED set of Coins in ANY holder.

53871-columbia_dual1.jpg.64b9a0b9e708ec828b56cfd61657f42c.jpg

53872-columbia_dual2.jpg.894256c8b28c4ca6a67cdba292811930.jpg

You'll have to make your own case ATS. I have been a persona non grata there since 8:18 AM August 5th, 2005. :)

Congratulations :)

I think you did well....from what I can see they do look pretty high grade and colorful......as a master at buying from bad photos I will bestow the first "YOU SUCK!" award :devil:

Hmmmm? Call me a skeptic, but I would be a little concerned how two coins by one seller could have almost identical toning paterns.

JJ

I have seen this many times they are the end of the roll where the ends were not quite folded over the ends properly. A member ATS thought I had duped his pictures somewhere as they were very similar to his certified coins. I have no doubts about the tone on these.

My only concern is the wear that these may have attained in the roll ... in hand will tell the tale.

@ $35 apeice I think you did well, but we still need to have the final out come grade to determine the "You Suck" status...isn't it something like 10x value of the original purchase price? ie:you will need to garner $350 for each Columbian or a combined total of $700 to even qualify.

I also think this pair are album toned and not from rolls.

I will be standing by with baited breath. :wishluck:

@ $35 apeice I think you did well, but we still need to have the final out come grade to determine the "You Suck" status...isn't it something like 10x value of the original purchase price? ie:you will need to garner $350 for each Columbian or a combined total of $700 to even qualify.

I also think this pair are album toned and not from rolls.

I will be standing by with baited breath. :wishluck:

hmm that would me a PAIR of MS65 aye ... hmmmmm

Cant wait ...

Album toned are usually toned all the way around ... this EYEBALL look is usually a end roll - .

They look beautiful. They also look like they may be AU, but they are beautiful nonetheless.

With the out of contrast pictures its tough to tell ...

I'm thinking album toning, too, since both sides have toning.

But, yeah, YoU sUcK, MiKe!!!!!

Cool - Never seen them tone like that - All mine in my books tone the complete periphery. NEAT

Thanks

Very nice looking coins indeed but is it common for an "End Roll" toner to tone that same way on both sides of the coin?

Just curious.

Very nice looking coins indeed but is it common for an "End Roll" toner to tone that same way on both sides of the coin?

Just curious.

I was informed that these are probably BOOK toned if you follow up on the comments.

Nice looking pair, though I wouldn't hazard a guess on grade from those pics. I do have to agree that the 1892 couldn't have been on both ends of the roll. ;)

Hmmmm? Call me a skeptic, but I would be a little concerned how two coins by one seller could have almost identical toning paterns.

JJ

I have seen this many times they are the end of the roll where the ends were not quite folded over the ends properly. A member ATS thought I had duped his pictures somewhere as they were very similar to his certified coins. I have no doubts about the tone on these.

My only concern is the wear that these may have attained in the roll ... in hand will tell the tale.

I was thinking the same thing..had to take a look at my coins to see if someone sold you with pics of mine...you got yours cheaper than I did so "You SuCK"

PS: here's a pic of 1 of mine, NGC MS63..sorry no gem without almost full sail lines............what the heck...added one more pic cleaned up with photoshop to show a bit better...

53895-MVC-958S.JPG.caa144dc1c50d73a66894b300808809f.JPG

53896-MVC-959S.JPG.a7f329151b2eed41acd9d4e032e76434.JPG

53897-MVC-503S.jpg.f8f2b37733c9c900c294bf292ae93984.jpg

Yours I would say would be more of a BOOK tone ... But people are saying mine are too ... Does not really matter I love the look OF Mine AND YOUR :)

Congrats

Nice looking coins. Suckdom status depends on the ultimate grade though...

AS I am told.

Did you get to see the Picture of MY Proof set for your Daughters Birth year ATS ??? Congrats to her by the WAY and to you PAPA :)

Mine are only 14 and 17 but they are easier I can slap em around they are boys ...

g'day mate

m

Get them graded, report back with MS+ grades and you will suck.

Until then, nice coins. ;)

Darn then I am just a potential suckdom contender ... :insane:

I like them very much Mike. The toning looks nice. I hope they grade as high as you're thinking. Nice pickup on those though!!!