• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With regards to Proofs; what does this eBay seller's statement mean?...

7 posts in this topic

<< lacks the flow lines of a repolished die associated with proofs >>

He said that of this coin with regard to him thinking it was not a Proof.

Can someone explain exactly what that means? It would be awesome if detailed pictures can be provided.

Personally, I think the coin could very well be a Proof.

The coin definitely is not a proof. Look at the denticle and how poorly defined they are. A proof will have squared, sharp denticles.

53830-0712_1.jpg.c65466f9909731bb363aa93a8845d5da.jpg

53831-075f_1.jpg.a3cd18436b4f8e181199cb4d946ef6c6.jpg

I'm not sure if a coin of this age would still show flow lines if it was a proof. Of course, this coin is not a proof as Victor has stated.

But, die polish lines are not something you would normally see either, unless they were newly applied or somehow improperly applied, right? Is he saying, every single 19th century Proof should have detectable die polish lines? If so, I'm not aware of that. Maybe I'm just ignorant about this but I'm still confused.

You note he says "flow lines of a repolished die ". How many dies did they use on the proofs? I would suspect not many, possibly jst one or two. In that case I would think that the dies possibly had to be repolished mabye several times. If that is true then there could be polishing lines commonly visible except on the earliest strikes. (I'm speculating here as I haven't had the chance to do much with the early proof coinage.)