• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Quarter Grading Test.... Updated images...

28 posts in this topic

I will take the first shot having taken a look at a few of these lately

MS63 - I think the details should be sharper

I am thinking 64 with a shot at 65 but I need to go back and study your post on the washie. :blush: I await the reveal lol

High end 65 or low end 66 would be my guess.

Really tough to grade with such small photos, though.

I know you have larger ones, so give 'em up! ;)

Any last guesses?
I'll go with MS66, and frankly, can't understand some of the conservative guesses. Even if it turns out that the grade is a surprise on the low side, my comment stands.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a 66. Are 43-S's known for week strikes? I notice the letters on the reverse in particular appear to be a bit mushy. And isn't it truet that a weak strikes won't prevent a coin getting high grades so long as there is no sign of wear or nicks?

Any last guesses?
I'll go with MS66, and frankly, can't understand some of the conservative guesses. Even if it turns out that the grade is a surprise on the low side, my comment stands.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the cheek marks were what led me to say 65 not 66. You're probably right though and the larger photos spooked/fooled me...Mike

Any last guesses?

I can't speak for anyone else, but the cheek marks were what led me to say 65 not 66. You're probably right though and the larger photos spooked/fooled me...Mike

Mike, there were about 4 grade guesses lower than yours/MS65. ;)

This coin was cracked out from a small ANACS Holder. It was marked MS64 and I totally agree! Here is why and what some of you may have missed.

First off nobody mentioned the spot on the obverse. It is above the G in God. 2nd the coin has a fair ammounr of hits. The face has a few hits, the neck has 1. The reserve eagle has a few as well, which the toning hides a bit. Truth be told this coin was blast white when I bought it. This coin is now cracked out in my 2nd set. Some of which resides in a Wayte Ramond Holder. I like the presentation of the holders from Wayte Raymond. The toning is just an added bonus.The reverse is what keeps this coin at MS64. A few too many hits to make this MS65. The color bump people speak of is real. It happens. I can point out many examples of it from both services.

Anyhow this is a nice MS64 coin, and the price difference is not near enough to make it a resubmit. It would MS64 again if you ask me. $42.00 in MS64 $45.00 in MS65. That is not taking any color into effect. The strike and luster are good enough for MS65 but the hits keep it down. Toning fools some people into thinking it has less hits than it does. Hope everybody learned something from it. Feel free to disagree with this assesment, but me and ANACS agree. Debate away.

No debate here. :grin:

Nor here. As I alluded earlier, that scrape behind the corner of Washington's mouth all by itself eliminates a "gem" grade. Even taking into account having been amplified by large images, it appears noteworthy to me. My experience with cracking numerous WQs out for my two sets is that it is THE trouble spot for abrasion, and all by itself will eliminate gem consideration.

Incidentally, it also happens to be the first place that my eye falls on these coins. In my collection, even with a few coins below the MS-64 level in my #2 set, I have carefully avoided coins with this particular abrasion, as it bugs the heck out of me, for some reason.

This coin was cracked out from a small ANACS Holder. It was marked MS64 and I totally agree! Here is why and what some of you may have missed.

First off nobody mentioned the spot on the obverse. It is above the G in God. 2nd the coin has a fair ammounr of hits. The face has a few hits, the neck has 1. The reserve eagle has a few as well, which the toning hides a bit. Truth be told this coin was blast white when I bought it. This coin is now cracked out in my 2nd set. Some of which resides in a Wayte Ramond Holder. I like the presentation of the holders from Wayte Raymond. The toning is just an added bonus.The reverse is what keeps this coin at MS64. A few too many hits to make this MS65. The color bump people speak of is real. It happens. I can point out many examples of it from both services.

Anyhow this is a nice MS64 coin, and the price difference is not near enough to make it a resubmit. It would MS64 again if you ask me. $42.00 in MS64 $45.00 in MS65. That is not taking any color into effect. The strike and luster are good enough for MS65 but the hits keep it down. Toning fools some people into thinking it has less hits than it does. Hope everybody learned something from it. Feel free to disagree with this assesment, but me and ANACS agree. Debate away.

Bruce, the "spot" you mentioned appears nearly totally inconsequential, in your images, at least. And, the hits which are apparent should not preclude a grade of MS66. So, either the coin is undergraded, or your images are masking a number of flaws which should negatively impact the assigned grade.

I have learned nothing from the thread, though I have enjoyed it. For me, it is yet another reminder that even good images rarely tell the whole story. ;)

As I alluded earlier, that scrape behind the corner of Washington's mouth all by itself eliminates a "gem" grade
Not based on what I see in quantity in TPG holders.

Without having the coin in hand it's hard to argue the ANACS grade. All I can say is that from what is visable in the image...it's a 65 to me......since you have it in hand you have the luxury of rotating the coin in the light and seeing marks that we possibly can't see so your better apt to judge the accuracy of the TPG. The toning does make it even more difficult to grade, again because I assume it is hiding some marks we would otherwise see on a blast white coin.

I have always said with toners.......and I know all do not feel the same way.......the grade for me is irrelevant as I buy the coin for the color. (thumbs u

Here is a better breakdown of the coin. First off I would like to say the coin was "WHITE" when it was in the ANACS holder. It had the spot I speak of so I had my local dealer I bought it from dip it to see if that spot would come off. It did not and thus you see still today.

Anyhow...

wqgt11.jpg

wqgt21.jpg

Red is for the Hits

Lime is for the Spot

Yellow is may be seen as spotting

Blue is for striking issues

Purple is for what may been seen as scraping.

Add all these factors up and you arrive at MS64. The Strike is good, luster is good, but the scattered hits keep this at MS64 if you ask me. I do not bump coins for color.

the L I B of liberty seem to have a good line going across them also.

Yes I could have noted those hits but usally a TPG will not decuct for them.