• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lettered edging

11 posts in this topic

The extremely high relief proof version of the 1907 $20 St. Gaudens has a lettered edge variety, although one might technically disqualify it as a pattern only example.

And yes, the 1992-D Olympic Silver $1 (Nolan Ryan) uncirculated coin reads "XXV OLYMPIAD" four times in incuse lettering around the edge. The proof version has no such edge lettering.

Beijim

All Saints have lettered edges, though the 1907 Ex. HR pattern you refer to has a plain edge and a lettered edge variety. Indian eagles also have raised stars on the edge, which could technically qualify if you consider all non-reeded edge coins.

All Saints have lettered edges,

Hell, I had completely forgotten that fact. I"m a dork.

Actually, what this means is that it may be time to crack those Saints OUT of their tomb. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hmmm...now where did I put my jack-hammer...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Hmmm...now where did I put my jack-hammer...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Heh heh, sounds like someone wants a nice Dremel Mototool for the holidays... cloud9.gif

And hey, you can use it to buff those coins to a brilliant sheen after you liberate 'em! 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Beijim

Jom, the Saint edge isn't nearly as interesting as the Indian eagle edge, watching it go from 46 stars to 48 in 1912 (did they have 45 in 1907?). The Saint edge was constant. But still, it's the third dimension you can't ever see in a slab...

And hey, you can use it to buff those coins to a brilliant sheen after you liberate 'em!

Woo Hoo! laugh.gif

Love those "worked" edge coins. Too bad most of these are "entombed" because of the evils of slabbing. devil.gif

jom