• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitol Plastics--Love 'em or Hate'em--Opinions needed

31 posts in this topic

Over the past months I have started holdering all of my raw coins/sets in Capitol Plastics holders. My problem is that I seem to be breaking an extemely high percentage of the plastic screws which hold them together.

I understand they are only plastic and try to be very careful and barely "snug" them up but they still seem to have the head of the threaded screw pop off.

Capitol Plastics has been great (sending me a free batch of 5 dozen) but the problem persists. I have now ordered 10 dozen of their metal screws and I'm sure this will stop the breakage problem.

I love the holders and wish I could figure out if I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice/opinions???

Bruce

I can't stand the screws. You have to get them in there just right, and no matter how hard you try, there always seems to be 1 set of screws that just won't go in.

For this reason alone, I use capital plastics holders only for sets that I have completed. The holders are nearly impossible to use practically for sets that are a work-in-progress. Constantly having to open up that holder to add a new coin would drive me nuts.

I just seen my first one last week and dont care for them, but my daughter fell in love with them. So now she feel's she needs all her coins in them. Thank's CHAD

I just seen my first one last week and dont care for them, but my daughter fell in love with them. So now she feel's she needs all her coins in them. Thank's CHAD

Any time Harvey lol

There is a solution that I think is really cool if you are the type that likes customizing stuff. Swap the plastic screws with heavy duty metal nuts and bolts! It's kind of like hopping up a bland car... let your imagination run wild.

The presentation of these sets can be beautiful, but because the screws are plastic they also tend to deform slightly if you do not align them properly. This will allow you to keep adding stress to the screw until it breaks or is otherwise worthless. If you must use the plastic screws you should really not tighten them much more than finger-tight and should be very careful about alignment.

I am not a big fan of Capital Plastics holders. I like AirTites and the boxes that they can be stored in. In fact. One thing about AirTites is that you can put together any set you want. So I am going for the holders and a box to store a complete set of New York City subway tokens. It's a great option for putting together your own collection!!

Scott :hi:

I certainly hope you're not using a screw driver? (Way to much torque can be applied)

Try a dime to loosen, then back out with finger nail/tip and reverse the process going back in making sure all are started and about tight before the final turn with the dime.

James, kind makes them hard to stack and or stow with wing nuts/bolts...huh? :grin:

careful tightening the metal screws into your capital plastics..the metal screws tend to crack the holder around the hole...

My non-slabbed coins go in 2X2's which are placed in the mylar notebook sheets...a nice notebook with an attractive binder can hold about 20 of these pages nicely--9 coins per page===180 raw coins

I don't care for the Capital Plastics holders. Including the issue with the screws, I also don't like the fact that I can't examine or photograph one or two coins without having to do a juggling act with the whole set. Just recently, I won a Scotsman lot consisting of an entire set of MS Franklins in a Capital holder. Now the coins are residing temporarily in flips until I photograph them and decide which I want to send in for grading.

By the way, is anyone interested in this holder? It's missing one screw.

Chris

I can't stand the screws. You have to get them in there just right, and no matter how hard you try, there always seems to be 1 set of screws that just won't go in.

For this reason alone, I use capital plastics holders only for sets that I have completed. The holders are nearly impossible to use practically for sets that are a work-in-progress. Constantly having to open up that holder to add a new coin would drive me nuts.

Sorry to be OT, but

Are those GOLD COINS in your signature munkyman?

:luhv:

Before my Bust Half Dollars were sent to a grading service, I housed each of them in their own white Capital plastic holder. I still have dozens of the old Capitals, but no coins to put into them.

I don't ever recall breaking off a plastic screw head. I used a snub nosed regular screwdriver, but was always careful not to tighten too much. Having OCD, I even aligned all the screwheads. :blush:

I don't use a screwdriver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

I have noticed that 2 early proof sets in older Capitol holders seemed to have more "rugged" looking plastic screws.

Since it's no big deal, I decided on a little eperiment. I could tighten the older screws down with a screwdriver to about where you'd tighten the licence plates on your car (without an airgun!!!!)

The new ones are simply much weaker and can take about 1/4 of the pressure.

Oh, my life is such a pain!!

Bruce

I bought me a few of these holders last year at a coin show just to have. Hoping one day to use one for building my own 36' proof set. Thanks for the tips on the screws!

You can also head down to the local hardware store and customize your holders completely. Admittedly, I've only done this once, but I thought it was neat-o.

I used Capital Plastics holders for years before slabs came along. The hlders are great for coins that are the size of nickels or larger; passable for dimes; and useless for really small thin coins like gold dollars and silver three cent pieces. The trouble with really thin coins is that there is so little material to catch to the sides of the holder. The piece will just not stay put.

The really good Capital Plastic holders that the custom made ones where you can specify the diameter. I usally order them a little small and then used the Capital Plastics fittin tool to get it exactly right.

As to the issue with the screws, I broke a few over the years, but never very many. The secret is you have to careful to get the screw started. I used to get them in place with my fingers and the use a screwdriver. Sometimes I got away with using a dime! You have also have to avoid getting the screw too tight. If you force them, there is a good chance that they will break.

Think these holders are tough to get open and align and look at the coins - Try to get these ones to open ....

:makepoint:doh!

1726850-set1.jpg

Think these holders are tough to get open and align and look at the coins - Try to get these ones to open ....

:makepoint:doh!

1726850-set1.jpg

Heck, a band saw will do it in seconds.

Chris

Our new discount coin supply site Wizard Coin Supply has the metal screws for $2.89 per pack. There are also over 1100 shapes, sizes and colors of Capital Holders available at a 25% discount. Only Capital itself has a larger online selection and they don't discount.

WH

Our new discount coin supply site Wizard Coin Supply has the metal screws for $2.89 per pack. There are also over 1100 shapes, sizes and colors of Capital Holders available at a 25% discount. Only Capital itself has a larger online selection and they don't discount.

WH

Always the salesman :)

I love them. I saw a fantastic Franklin collection in one recently.

Unfortunately I like things all nice and tidy and no to CP holders are the same size. I prefer Dansco albums because they fit nicely in my book shelf.

I love them. I saw a fantastic Franklin collection in one recently.

Are you referring to the set that I just removed from the Capital holder?

Chris

I just bought a single half dollar Capitol holder for my brand new CBH, just to try it out. I wanted something a little nicer than a 2x2. I haven't put it in yet, so I don't really know if I am going to have problems, but I am glad for the tips here.

You ARE going to have problems. Mainly because you will probably find that the coin wont fit in the holder. The half dollar holder is designed fr a nice standard sized half dollar struck in a collar. Every CBH is a slightly different size because they weren't struck in a collar. You usually have to alter the size of the hole to get any of the early open collar coins to fit in a capital plastic holder..