• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st post - Seated Dollar Grading Quiz?

13 posts in this topic

Hello to all!

With apologies to Mark Feld and others who may have seen this same question on another board, I am interested in getting grading opinions from others regarding my 1847 Seated Dollar that I purchased recently. I am very excited about returning to coin collecting that I once loved in my childhood. It is fun to collect things I couldn't afford then, but the hobby is a is a lot more expensive nowadays.

So, would you grade my dollar AU, and if so, what level? Be as blunt as you like.....I can take it!

100-1847-b.jpg

100-1847-obv.jpg

100-1847-rev.jpg

Welcome to the forum!! I'm not good with these but besides a lot of nics, this seems to have some great details. Looks like some light wear on the eagle's wing tips. I'm not sure that the pics are depicting the actuall colors of this coin but I would venture to say AU. JMO

I don't think this coin can be adequately graded from an image. It's impossible to assess the luster over Liberty's knee or in the fields well enough to make the unc/au determination. With that said, it appears to me to be a 61. Whether that's AU61 or MS61 is anyone's guess. ;)

I don't think this coin can be adequately graded from an image. It's impossible to assess the luster over Liberty's knee or in the fields well enough to make the unc/au determination. With that said, it appears to me to be a 61. Whether that's AU61 or MS61 is anyone's guess. ;)

It couldn't be said any better.

Hey, welcome to the boards! (thumbs u

Grading any coin in the AU to Mint State range can't be done with precision. Having said that I think I see a slight run on Ms. Liberty’s right breast. That would make the coin an AU-58, but pieces like this often end up in MS-61 or 62 holders.

Welcome to the forum. Your pictures do not show surface condition very well and are off color and monotoned. However, an educated guess would say that your dollar is AU58.

Welcome to the forum. Your pictures do not show surface condition very well and are off color and monotoned. However, an educated guess would say that your dollar is AU58.

That's what I am seeing as well....an AU58 (thumbs u

Welcome to the Forum first of all, I hope your experience here is rewarding through both sharing and learning.

One aspect we cannot do with images is to rotate the coin in a light source to examine for any color changes/dull areas that would be located directly on any of the high spots.

With the images you provided, this Seated Dollar has to be a high end AU-58 if not Mint State all the way up to a low end 61. Anything beyond 61 with this coin appears to be not too feasible. Still all in all, it is a very nice looking dollar and I would bet it looks a lot nicer in hand.

Is this coin raw or already graded?

Welcome back to Numismatics and yes, it takes a few more of our expendable dollars to participate these days.

The coin is raw. It is a beautiful coin, IMHO, and, according to an experienced collector that I trust, it has been lightly cleaned sometime ago. His view was that my coin was AU 53+. What I am finding is that it is tough to show luster in pictures and obviously, that luster is key to ascertaining an appropriate grade.

There was much debate in another forum between strong XF and AU and those that advocated XF thought the coin did not have sufficient luster. They had the advantage of seeing very poorly taken pictures and then seeing the ones I posted here. I was just curious for different opinions, without any bias from poor pictures.

As I stated, I am just returning to the hobby. I am extremely excited about this new journey, but I must admit to feeling apprehensive about the rising prices and the fraud that I see others talking about. I want to collect a strong early type set in XF-AU, but I must temper my enthusiasm with the reality that I can't afford some pieces or that it will take me many years to make progress.

This is what I have thus far:

1847 Seated Dollar - AU+

1877-S Trade Dollar - XF

1880-S Morgan Dollar - MS 64

1884-CC GSA Morgan Dollar - MS (wish my father had bought more of these when I was young). This one is a beauty with light toning on 1/2 of the obverse and very few bag marks. Also has evidence of a die crack running through the stars

1836 Capped Bust Half - VF w/rim error "OALF A DOLLAR"

1850 Braided Large Cent - XF/AU

1904 Liberty Nickel - AU

I am now on the hunt for a Draped Bust large cent, but am intimidated about the cost to acquire the condition I want and the exploding market for all early type coins.