• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Ebay tactic

11 posts in this topic

I went to list some items today and now it appears that they want my credit card or some other payment for my seller's fee's. I already had it setup to deduct from my checking account. Why do I have to change it again or enter this info again?

I have got to find another place to sell.

hmm I have always had a CC on file for billing. I thought it was ALWAYS that way.

..maybe they want a backup funding source for checking accounts to guard against insufficient funds kick backs.

I don't know about the Sellers but I had a problem with a Policy of Pay Pal. I started out using a debit card.After you have purchased $2000.00 worht of Merchandise then Pay Pal requires you to get a Credit Card. I asked them why I needed a Credit card when I already paid with a debit card? I was told that the reason for the Credit card was a a back-up.

I still use my Debit card and not the Pay Pal Credit card so what is the difference?

Are you sure that this is not a Pay Pal Policy for the Sellers?

I have always paid my seller fees with PayPal. EBay just takes it out monthly from my PayPal account. If I don't have the money in my PayPal account they rob my bank account. Also PayPal has never required me to have a PayPal credit card???

Interesting.

I have always paid my seller fees with PayPal. EBay just takes it out monthly from my PayPal account. If I don't have the money in my PayPal account they rob my bank account. Also PayPal has never required me to have a PayPal credit card???

Interesting.

Same here :popcorn:

About a year or two ago eBay made a change in their policies and after that date any new sellers had to have a credit card on file. (As of about a year ago they also have to agree to accept paypal as well.)

I beleive that I was given the choice of a Bank account or the Pay Pal credit card.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous If I do not want to use the Pay Pal credit card then when I go to pay via Pay pal then I can select "Other funding options " and pay with my debit card . Even then I am asked if I am sure that I want to pay with this card and that I can also set up my Pay Pal account via my Bank Account.

I asked Pay Pal why I needed to do the others if I was not going to use them but continue to use my same card and the reply was that I needed one of the others as Back up.

So which comes first here?

1. Does Pay pal demand it in order to trade on E Bay or

2. Does E Bay demand that if you are going to use Pay Pal once you have reached $2000.00 in purchases that you have the back up.

As I mentioned earlier there is the choice to use one or the other as a Backup.

What happens if there is no money in the Bank account Backup or the Credit card is maxed out? It would seem to me that if you are responsible that a back up is not needed and that if you arent then it doesn't make a difference.

I've been an Ebay buyer/seller for 4 years and have had a credit card on file the whole time even though I have never used it. With Paypal I always pay with debit card, but am required to have a credit card as back up. Sometimes I have overbid my *ss so I elected to pay with the credit card. I don't really see what the big deal is. I have never in these 4 years had bogus charges by either company. While I do not agree with very many of Ebay or Paypal policies this is one I do not have a problem with.

Which was my point. The wanted some kind of a Back-up. My problem was that I did not want ot use my Bank account and I could not use another Credit card of my choosing with the Debit Card. I had to use their Pay Pal Credit Card.

My other point was that if there is not enough Money in my Debit Card account and my Credit card is maxed out then it is going to be the same result as it would be if I did not have the Back up Card.

I do not have a problem with the Policy itself but I suspect that for the Buyer it is a Marketing Ploy.

By assigning the arbitrary ceiling of $2000.00 for the buyer then you have most likely established further buying intentions,

If the Buyer was allowed only to use his/her Credit card then there is a liklihood that the Buyer will only spend so much. By requiring their Credit Card then not only is there a possibilty of the opportunity for more purchases on Credit but Pay Pal will get the Interest Charges if not paid in full.