• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early 19th century U.S.silver

29 posts in this topic

It was great fun admiring your early copper. I would like to start the thread for early 19th century silver. Hope to see some spectacular photos.

RI AL

Idrapedobv.jpg

drapedrev.jpg

Your half-dime and dime are absolutely incredible, RI AL!!! (thumbs u

I agree but the quarter is pretty sweet, too.

Dang it, Al, you've been holding out on us. :grin:

53556-1806hdcomp.jpg.3c80a1b6c055419613fafe3bc0a61c0f.jpg

The coins of today are trash compared to these beauties. Granted there are a few nice modern coins, but for the most part nope.

:cloud9:

Super Nice!!!! examples posted so far. (thumbs u

1806 50C O-114a. Rarity-4

DSCN5370J.jpg

Love that 1806 Victor! ;)

1800 Bolender-20

The obverse is the plate coin from Boender's book

Note the obverse photo was taken before I had the certified. The reverse is an after certification shot.

1800DollarO.jpg1800DollarR.jpg

1806 half dollar

1806HalfDolO-1.jpg1806HalfDolR-1.jpg

1805 4 berry reverse dime. This was the first high grade early U.S. coin I acquired. This piece got me hooked on them.

1805DimeO.jpg1805DimeR.jpg

Hello, everyone.

I KNEW there would be some fantastic coins posted...and I hope to see many more. As said by BRUCESWAR, there is such beauty in these coins that in my opinion far outweighs most of the modern designs. Though my examples are far from exceptional, between budget constraints and years of being fussy, there is a lot of time and love in my 5 piece set of the series. I've bonded...and don't even know if at this point I would upgrade...even if I COULD afford it. The U.S coins from the 1790's and early 1800's are my passion. I may not have many...nor the best...but what I have managed to find is like "family". Thanks for the kind words.

Don't know if it would be of interest, but there is a bit of a story with the 1800 dime. (Snooooooooze.. :blahblah: .(That RI AL ALWAYS has a story about something...) anyway, the one pictured above is actually my 2nd attempt at getting one for my type set. The first one, which I was also proud of...well...when I submitted it, it came back as a cast copy. I was crushed. It was a piece I was so proud of and owned it for about 2 years before I sent it in. Fortunately, I keep the receipt, on which the seller had written some "diagnostic points" and he actually took it back and helped me locate the one you see here. Now THAT is a rare gentleman indeed. His table at Auburn, Massachusetts shows became a first stop for me ever since. Well, the shows are no more (and heaven forbid that Rhode Island would ever have a coin show) but he was ONE GOOD GUY!!

Hope you all are having a super weekend. Keep the pictures coming. Hopefully after cataract surgery, by Monday afternoon I'll be able to see them better :banana:

RI AL

Well, the shows are no more (and heaven forbid that Rhode Island would ever have a coin show) but he was ONE GOOD GUY!!

I knew the late Tom Lacey who ran the Auburn coin show for many years. He told me that the laws in Rhode Island about how long a dealer has to hold a piece after he has bought (30 days I think) preclude ever holding a coin show in the state. It had to do with one of the public officials there who was robbed and wanted to force dealers hold items so that the police would have a chance to track the stolen goods down.

Wow...great looking coins so far, guys. How can you not LOVE the type!!! BillJones, my jaw is still on the floor...

RI AL

Well, it's a small world. I had met Tom Lacey on a couple of occasions. Nice guy. I miss the Auburn, MA shows and spent many a happy hour (no...not THAT kind) gazing, dreaming, panting and occasionally... buying.

Well, that explains the no--coin-show-RI saga I guess. I'll stop checking the listings in Coin World :P

Have a good day, everyone and thanks for the good wishes for eye surgery tomorrow.

RI AL

Good luck, Al. I had LASIK 3 years ago tomorrow and it is a little scary. Just think how much better your outlook will be after the surgery. (thumbs u

~Hope you all are having a super weekend. Keep the pictures coming. Hopefully after cataract surgery, by Monday afternoon I'll be able to see them better ~

Best of luck with this surgery, I had it done early in 2007, bit disapointed, but then again they didn't have much to work with. Nice set of coins there, enjoyed looking at all the fine examples from everyone from these very, very early years. (thumbs u

and this 1806 is pretty durned nice too, though I am looking at it with 1 eye at the moment.

RI AL doh!

As long as we're on the Capped Bust series, here is my favorite from the series.The 25 center was toughest one to find for my set...champagne taste...tap water budget...

RI AL (One eyed AL at the moment) .>)

bust25o.jpg

bust25r.jpg

The world's most common Draped Bust half cent in Mint State. This was one of the Chapman brothers hoard from the early 20th century ...

1806HalfCentO.jpg1806HalfCentR.jpg

Oddly enough when I was collecting these coins die variety almost 20 years ago, circulated examples of this variety (Cohen 4, Large 6, stems) were not that easy to find. hm

Hey,BillJones.

Where do you get this totally incredible stuff??? Man I'm impressed and so envious. In my next life...will you adopt me??

Have a good evening, all.

RI AL