• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting San Diego Commemorative. Guess the Grade?

17 posts in this topic

Very nice, I was going to go with 25 but now I know. :o

Interesting that someone would circulate or carry this so much. I can't imagine it circulating too long without someone pulling it out.

I would have said VF-30. There seems to be a lot of wear on the highest surfaces. I suppose if there is luster in the fields you could go for EF-45, but this is a not for circulation coin. The devices are probably higher on this than they would be for a Walker. Therefore I think that VF is appropriate although I think that VF-20 is bit low.

And, yes, this has to be among the poorest known because you seldem see these coins, at least in holders in less than MS-64.

had me fooled also...I was thinking on the lines that maybe it was an incomplete metal flow during strike or something...the letters and rims are amazingly clear of dings for a pocket piece...I would have bought it but I'm not sure there is even a list price for a VF San Diego????

The Motto, In God We Trust is about worn off and if you look at the shield detail, it shows detail of a VF'ish coin.

jackson64 there is no sheet on these low grade, problem free commemoratives, but the collector who sold it to me knew what he had (and how much I wanted it) and priced it accordingly.

Way undergraded.
I think I probably would have guessed AU, had I not seen the image of the coin in the holder. :juggle:

Obverse looks AU, reverse looks XF.

The TPG are awful grading these circulated commems. Grades are all over the place - which is somewhat to be expected on these coins.

If you pinned me down for a grade I would have said either VF35 or EF40. By the way, these San Diego commems in rather circulated condition pop up with some frequency on the East coast.

Of course working downtown San Diego and passing Balboa park (the reverse theme of this commemorative) on the Coaster each morning is a bonus to owning this coin.

A year ago, I did some research on the low grade Commems, and I do understand they are a challenge to collect in PCGS holders, at least certain issues. I still have a hard time understanding why people like collecting the low grade Classic Commemoratives, when a much nicer specimen would be cheaper.