• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think this SAE is original or messed with?

11 posts in this topic

Yuck.

I wouldn't think "messed with" per se, but it has toned probably through means of improper storage. Doesn't scream AT to me, and it's unattractive. Looks like it's just been sitting out for a while.

That's a tough call, I agree it is most likely improperly stored. If it was messed with I would imagine something like napkin toning. This toning took a while to produce.

I saw one VERY similar to that on eBay just yesterday I think, or very recently anyway.

I gave it a wide birth.

I figured it had been tampered with it best, was a counterfeit at worst, and the "buyer beware" phrase just kicked into gear.

Messed with and ugly. Is my first impression.

Even if it's natural, it's still ugly. :sick:

Here's one you can take to the bank. No all natural toning is attractive, and not all toning is with a premium.

I'm not ready to call it ugly or messed with from just the one image.

You guys are probably right but I'm wondering what it looks like with a little light.

I'm going with original..these ASE bullions seem to tone very fast when not in a slab and not stored at ideal coin temps....I currently have 2 1989 rim toned ASE's on ebay right now...guarantee that they are original, unless the 75 y/o guy who I got them from picked the roll out, toned the 2 end coins, and then sat them under the rolls of Kennedy's and Ikes in the box and put the whole box away for 20 years so those 2 coins could pass for original...seriously though, if you were ATing a coin, would you want it to look like that?

Maybe it's just me...but does anyone else see partial fingerprints to the right of Miss Liberty. There are many on this board far more skillful than I, but it has that "messed with" look to it, in my humble opinion. Also, the figure has a dull gray color to it that just doesn't look quite right.

RI AL

Well my opinion would be that it has natural toning under what looks like, someone may have attempted to clean this coin thinking the toning was tarnish.