• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Took The Plunge...

9 posts in this topic

Upgrade Richard Shipp to a Paid Account

Thank You

you are now a member of the Collectors Society. You have signed up for a membership as follows:

Hopefully I'll do a little better on my first submission here than I did ATS a couple of years ago... I'd like to think I've learned a little something in 2 years.

I don't submit many coins at all to either service, but I have found that the NGC turnaround time has been much shorter than the PCGS turnaround time. That might not matter to some folks, but I think it would be important to folks who are attempting to turn over their inventory in a timely manner. Good luck with the submission.

On Friday, January 11 at FUN, I submitted one Morgan to NGC for reholder with the VAM attribution, and I got it back on Saturday, January 12. Also on Friday, I submitted two Morgans to PCGS for reholder with the VAM attribution, and I got them back on February 19. hm

Chris

I don't submit many coins at all to either service, but I have found that the NGC turnaround time has been much shorter than the PCGS turnaround time. That might not matter to some folks, but I think it would be important to folks who are attempting to turn over their inventory in a timely manner. Good luck with the submission.

While I am generally equally confident in PCGS and NGC graded coins, as a rule, I submit my coins to NGC, it's a personal preference. I figure if it's good enough for an endorsement (paid or not) by the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG), it's good enough for me.

THAT SAID, I find that turnaround times at NGC can vary greatly, it just really depends on what they have at the time.

If you submit some coins at the same time they are having a BIG coin show, for instance, and their graders are SLAMMED with "walk through" or whatever service from show visitors, then the coins submitted to them in Florida at the Modern-Tier (or other such "economical" tiers) are left to fall behind.

In fairness to NGC, they make no secret about their turnaround time. They tell you what their standard is, and they also tell you as it changes, with current ACTUAL turnaround times posted. I like the open nature about this.

They also publish the upcoming shows, so if you are in a rush for your coins, you can plan your submissions AROUND the shows in theory, aiming to get them IN AND OUT of NGC before a major coin event, thus keeping your turnaround time quickly.

I've seen turnaround times suffer sometimes after a major release of a long-awaited numismatic item, so IF you are among those buying a major release item (I don't know, a Platinum Eagle 10th Anniversary Set, a 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set last year, a 1st Spouse gold coin, Early Release Silver Eagles -- you get the idea), perhaps the best strategy is that once you are in possession of your coins, RUN, don't walk, to your nearest post office and send them to NGC for certification. Assuming you're cheap (Ok, let's call it "thrifty," like I am), and you send these under the Modern Tier, or Modern Special as required, NGC basically processes these (at least the ones submitted at the same tiers) as FIFO (First In, First Out), as far as I understand it anyway.

I think, and rightfully so, that anyone willing to pay for EarlyBird, Express, or other "higher tiered" services probably deserves to "jump the line." I mean they paid literally double or triple (OR MORE) in fees for the same thing, so they should move ahead of the line, IMHO. 2c

I personally don't see that as much different than anyone boarding a plane first because he/she splurged (either in cash or in frequent flier miles) for a First Class ticket, compared to the bulk of the plane (coach) boarding afterward.

Essentially, everyone is going to get there, everyone is going to GET the same flight, in this case, everyone is going to get NGC's high quality reputation and label on the holder of their coin. Nobody has to (and likely will never) know whether you paid $12.50 for it, or $155.00 for it.

That sort of thing has often always puzzled me, and made me wonder why so many people pay 2-3 times what they can pay for submitting the very same coins. hm

Sure, it's a fast paced world and all, but color me cheap -- I want the extra money to either BUY MORE COINS or GRADE MORE COINS!

Upgrade Richard Shipp to a Paid Account

Thank You

you are now a member of the Collectors Society. You have signed up for a membership as follows:

Hopefully I'll do a little better on my first submission here than I did ATS a couple of years ago... I'd like to think I've learned a little something in 2 years.

Congratulations, Richard!