• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my unfortinate little 1795 half dime

21 posts in this topic

Well, here it is. My poor little 1795 half dime. Certainly is no beauty to be sure...but I think she still has a bit of life in her. She's in an NNC slab, purchased during my "dark period" before I got a bit more slab savvy, but the price was right. It's marked F-15...which I assume is a joke of some kind. Oh well...at least it doesn't have a hole...or 7. Please don't laugh at her...she's sensitive.

Anyway, I think I figured out the variety because under the trusty microscope, the details are pretty clear. In spite of the slab scrapes, can anyone help me confirm (or blow out of the water) my belief that it is a LM 6? The example in Logan McCloskey shows a large die break through the 9 and 5 in the date and stars 13-15 and my example has the start of one through the 9 to the 5. There are 3 berries left `( though hard to see the 2 under T2) and 4 right. The 1 in date is very close to bust and 5 touches.

Have a good evening.

RI AL

Has anyone heard from REY in Virginia???

RI AL

[*]null

1795obv.jpg

1795rev.jpg

[font:Arial][/font]

Well, here it is. My poor little 1795 half dime. Certainly is no beauty to be sure...but I think she still has a bit of life in her. She's in an NNC slab, purchased during my "dark period" before I got a bit more slab savvy, but the price was right. It's marked F-15...which I assume is a joke of some kind. Oh well...at least it doesn't have a hole...or 7. Please don't laugh at her...she's sensitive.

Anyway, I think I figured out the variety because under the trusty microscope, the details are pretty clear. In spite of the slab scrapes, can anyone help me confirm (or blow out of the water) my belief that it is a LM 6? The example in Logan McCloskey shows a large die break through the 9 and 5 in the date and stars 13-15 and my example has the start of one through the 9 to the 5. There are 3 berries left `( though hard to see the 2 under T2) and 4 right. The 1 in date is very close to bust and 5 touches.

Have a good evening.

RI AL

Has anyone heard from REY in Virginia???

RI AL

[*]null

1795obv.jpg

1795rev.jpg

[font:Arial][/font]

th145045945_l1.jpgI'm having a bit of trouble seeing this Al could you make it a bit larger.36_11_6.gif Haven't heard from Rey in a while guess he's out of town. (shrug)

OK, here's the pics on more realistic terms... You know, I think that I'd send this into NCS. There's nothing to loose. The planchet looks like it could have escaped damage. What's the story with this coin? Where did you get it? Fire damage?

53197-000a.jpg.13eabf64dbb3b874e2b96cd881994e1a.jpg

Good morning, Guys.

Thanks for your input. Yea...this was the best I could afford too and I guess I was lucky to get it a few years back. It was an E-Bay item, offered a Make an Offer or Best Offer...something like that...so I did and apparently I won. Regarding fire damage, I really have no clue. I like the NCS idea but will have to wait until I have a few more to send in. I haven't used my membership certificate yet but I don't think that NGC and NCS will let you mix types of submissions. I have a few foreign, a few U.S. and a potential NGC or 2. Will NCS take it out of the NNC slab? I don't know how all that stuff works. What I liked about the coin was that it didn't look chewed, swallowed, shot, scratched or bent. If I got the variety right, it's an LM 6 with a Rarity of 6. That's kinda' neat too.

Regarding my large print post. Sorry about that. It was an experiment to see if I could review my posts in larger print because the small is so darned hard to see right now. Cataract date...1 week from today. CAN'T wait.! Next one is 2 weeks after.

Have a terrific week, all...and be well!

RI AL

Once again, guys,

THANKS!!! I am so pleased I actually correctly assigned the variety to the 1795 half dime. Being "difficult to find in any grade" is kind of neat too...but it isn't going anywhere. I would LOVE to be able to say, "when I saw it was an LM 6 on E-Bay, I knew that I HAD to have it"...but that would be sorta' kinda' not true...at ALL. Of course I had no idea it was an R-6 when I bid.

I can't tell you all enough how much I appreciate the sharing of your skill and knowledge. I always told myself, "self...when you retire...you're going to start learning a lot more about the hobby." Well, I am...and that is largely because of your kind and much appreciated assistance. I just hope I'm not being too much of a pest!

Got to finish the cataloging of the foreign music set today. I have already ordered 1 new piece from Austria that was offered on E-Bay. The budget doesn't hold out much opportunity for my U.S. type set. I have almost everything that I can afford. The music set is much more affordable except for the gold coins of course which I will just salivate over in the catalogs.

Enjoy the day.

RI AL

I can't tell you all enough how much I appreciate the sharing of your skill and knowledge. I always told myself, "self...when you retire...you're going to start learning a lot more about the hobby." Well, I am...and that is largely because of your kind and much appreciated assistance. I just hope I'm not being too much of a pest!

Enjoy the day.

RI AL

I second those sentiments, Al (thumbs u

And, no, I don't think you are a pest - every time you (or someone else) get a question answered, I learn something new! :) Keep 'em coming!

I give you some advice about rarities like this RI AL.

Most of the fun comes from the fact that you own a very rare variety of which very few examples exist. Chances are the fun will not come in the form of selling this piece for a huge profit.

First, very few collectors have the desire or can afford to collect these coins by die variety. I am an early half dime “nut” and have a pretty nice collection, but I collect by Red Book variety, not die variety. Even if your piece were nicer, I would not be a strong buyer for that reason. Very few collectors aspire to acquiring all 10 of the known 1795 half dime varieties.

The phrase "bigger is better" applies to coins just as it does to many other things. Far more collectors want silver dollars or half dollars than half dimes. Despite the fact that early half dimes as a group are FAR RARER than the early silver dollars, the silver dollars sell for higher prices on average.

Finally your piece is identifiable as to the variety, but it is not attractive. For that reason I doubt that it will ever bring a really strong price.

Hey, Bill.

Sound advice all around. The 1795 half dime was a goal, not really an investment. I've said it before here...but I don't plan to sell my collection...I'm "takin' it with me" to whatever my next life form and location will be. But...I have since done the Heritage "my collection" thing online and IF...by some odd reason, my coins don't accompany me to the here and yonder, at least my wife and son will know not to spend them. Anyway...slabs don't fit real well in vending machines...

RI AL

Anyway...slabs don't fit real well in vending machines...

Hammers can fix that little problem pretty quickly, especially if you aren't concerned about damaging the coin inside (at least not to the extent that the vending machine won't take it.)