• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

franklin 1948 worth the buy?

16 posts in this topic

I am no Franklin expert, but I don't see that as a 66, with all the ticks on the obverse, I would think maybe 64. It may be an FBL though, hard to tell on those pics. PS-this is not a reputable grading company.

Pay as little as possible for it, and then crack it out before you attempt to sell. I don't know what jtryka is seeing, but that looks much better than a 64 to me. Obviously, they are small pictures and all that, but I would guess this might be a 65 when you get it in hand. Odds are also in your favor that it is a FBL coin, since this is the first year of issue and a D mint. There are more FBL 1948D's than there are non-FBL. Unless there are some marks across the bell lines, you are probably safe there. This is all just my best guess based on really crappy small pictures.

All that being said, I would still ensure a large safety margin before actually purchasing this, but that should be easy to obtain with an NNC holder (coins actually sell for more when raw than in NNC holders).

I would definitely pay more than MS-60 money for it (what's that like $8?), I would be willing to pay 64 money for it, which I think a 64FBL is like $50 or so.

I would pay $0.00 for that coin. It's in a holder that one should never buy a coin in. This coin is affordable in either NGC or PCGS holders, and you'd be wasting your money otherwise.

I would pay $0.00 for that coin. It's in a holder that one should never buy a coin in. This coin is affordable in either NGC or PCGS holders, and you'd be wasting your money otherwise.

Yes, I agree.

Don't feed the animals. (tsk)

Besides that, this thing is about as close to being an MS-66 as I am to be elected President of the United States.

Yes, I agree.

Don't feed the animals. (tsk)

Besides that, this thing is about as close to being an MS-66 as I am to be elected President of the United States.

I'll write you in on the ballot! ;)

Since the price valuation is about 7 fold between MS-65 and MS-66 w/FBL, take a good long hard last look and just walk away from this particular Franklin.

It does have nice "cartwheel" luster which was proudly displayed in the image, but that alone does not make it a MS-66...all we see is a nice BU Franklin, many, many factors one does or does not have on a coin, can and will make all the difference in the real grade.

I would pay about $10 right now, regardless of the holder. Some people have been victims of sellers who market in this stuff, and it isn't their fault they have these coins. So yes, I would buy it.

I doubt very seriously this is offered or will sell anywhere even close to $10 (a few spots above melt) I'd be willing to bet it's well over the $250/300 price range, unless it is being offered in a true auction where the final bid price is dictated by a bunch of saavy buyers.

Any dollar amount paid above a MS-64 (no FBL designation) is a true gamble with this coin.

buy it if it's cheap....I bought a PF70UCAM sailing ship coin (Brit. Virgin Isl.) from NNC (same company and holder)..got it for only $25..it slabbed at NGC as a PF68UCAM...and the holder pulled apart so I got a free slab for a raw silver dollar too.....

Well, it'd already sold by the time I saw this thread, but my basic feeling is along the line of "Physics". I would not be surprised if it FBL'ed as that is a date that commonly comes well struck. It looks fairly nice, but a small picture of a 3rd world slab is normally a BIG red flag.