• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade Dollar

20 posts in this topic

I agree, really hard to tell by these pics. There is usually wweak details in the robe of liberty behind her leg, weak wheat stalks by the podium? that she is sitting on. These are familiar low spots on trade dollars and usually keep good detail on authentice trade dollars. Still can't be certain without bigger pics!

It's not hard to tell it's a fake at all. In fact that's a pretty bad counterfeit. Get out your red book and learn the difference between type 1 and type 2 and when each were made.

Fake, due to the low relief and bad color. It does not look like a silver planchet.

Actually, fake because all 1878-CC's are type II reverses with no berry under the eagle's claw [as previously mentioned].

Fake, due to the low relief and bad color. It does not look like a silver planchet.

Actually, fake because all 1878-CC's are type II reverses with no berry under the eagle's claw [as previously mentioned].

Good catch! Which leads me to a question I've been pondering for a couple of days now (and will probably start a thread on). Given that we have Bolender varieties and VAMs, is there something similar for attributing Seated and Trade dollars?

Good catch! Which leads me to a question I've been pondering for a couple of days now (and will probably start a thread on). Given that we have Bolender varieties and VAMs, is there something similar for attributing Seated and Trade dollars?

Bowers Complete Encyclopedia does a very good job. But it's out of print and very expensive these days.

i try to not rip anybody off i refunded all monies to the seller and told him that it was a fake thanks for looking out and preventing a huge problem later for me thanks guys

Thank you for the update. Makes me feel better that you refunded the money that was a good call on your part (thumbs u

Good job, Tim! (thumbs u

Nice to know that you're honest .

Any time you have a question about your coins (or someone else's) feel free to post here. These guys are open with info.