• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VAM...need some help....

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I am not a VAM guy, but know ALOT of you are. I picked these up recently in a trade, and while the trade was well worth it (I figured the AU Morgans, which there were 3 of, would make for bullion, at the VERY LEAST, as they arent real special dates...1886-P amd 1900-P). There was no mention of VAM's during discussion of the trade, so when I got the coins, I noticed 2 of them are VAMS. Here is an image of the 2 VAMS....any of you VAM guys that can give me a little help/direction/advice (offer to buy them...lol). Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, as they were THIS close to being freed from their slab, but then I saw the letters V-A-M, and knew I had to ask before I cracked 'em. Thanx again...here's the image of the two of them, obverse only. Dont know anything about what the VAM #'s mean, ARE they worth keeping solely because of the VAM, etc....so....basically, someone throw me a life preserver before I put these in the bench vise and tighten it ever so slowly until they are free!!! lol

cash030.jpg

Straight from VamWorld.

20 III2 15 - C3a (Near Date, Doubled First 0) (190) I-2 R-3

First 0 doubled inside lower opening as a curved bar.

Date sey further left than normal.

Even the mis-spelled word!! lol

And your 1886 from VAMWorld:

1886-P VAM-9 Far Date, Doubled 1-6

9 III2 9 - C3a (Far Date, Doubled 1-6) (189) I-3 R-4

Date set further right than normal.

1 doubled strongly at very bottom. Closed 6 is doubled at top.

This coin is an R4 so might not be a bad one to sell in slab.

Jim

Thanx bsshog40 and jesbroken....so, are you guys telling me I should leave them in the plastic, as they are worth more than just any old AU Morgan (sold as BU in catalogs and home shopping channels) one would normally use for bullion? And, jesbroken...R4...I know its all rarity stuff, but where (what number) is an R4? bsshog40, you say the 1900 is an R3? Enlighten me on the rarity scale (whats it, R5-R1, or some shyte like that? Again, I only ask because I am definitely not a VAM guy. Also, would these be something I should consider throwing on the bay, or some other venue? Thanx again everyone! Oh, and thanx for the link, Hoard...but its like latin to me...I didnt know different dates could have the same VAM #'s, etc...no WONDER its such a difficult game to play and win at!

I'm not much on Vams either but if you were to re-sell them, I would think the Rarity scale would be directed more towards the Vam collectors.

The Sheldon Scale

R‑1 Common

R‑2 Not So Common

R‑3 Scarce

R‑4 Very Scarce (population est. at 76‑200)

R‑5 Rare (31‑75)

R‑6 Very Rare (13‑30)

R‑7 Extremely rare (4‑12)

R‑8 Unique or Nearly So (1, 2 or 3)

The Sheldon Scale

R‑1 Common

R‑2 Not So Common

R‑3 Scarce

R‑4 Very Scarce (population est. at 76‑200)

R‑5 Rare (31‑75)

R‑6 Very Rare (13‑30)

R‑7 Extremely rare (4‑12)

R‑8 Unique or Nearly So (1, 2 or 3)

I am not a VAM collector and most of it looks like chinese to me also but they often have photos of the coins.

Link to an article on rarity

http://www.coinresource.com/articles/dies_variities_error_numbers.htm

You wouldn't want to reholder them in NGC because NGC only recognizes the HOT 50 and Top 100 Vams.I don't know if this is the case here.I don't think so.

So you have to determine what premium the Vams place on them before you do anything. I am not sure that those dates in AU58 even with the Vam would be a big deal. It would depend on the population.

I have a 1878 7TF Reverse of 79 with a VAM 222 in an ANACS Holder and it might be worth $70- $75.