• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

got this in my change today

21 posts in this topic

That don't look like a Cud to me. Looks like a chipped edge and the outer plating (nickel??) missing??? The Center is suppose to be copper right? so then it would be copper colored under the chip. Just guessing here.

Then it is a cud. A novelty & conversation piece, not very valuable, but a fun find just the same. (thumbs u

Clean your glasses, Bobby. :baiting:

Then it is a cud. A novelty & conversation piece, not very valuable, but a fun find just the same. (thumbs u

Clean your glasses, Bobby. :baiting:

I just did!! lol

Gpalm , I wouldn't say it is totally worthless , Cuds are interesting and it does fall into the 'error' coin category as it is mint manufactured . It may not command a premium of any sort , but I've seen these novelties sell on th e 'bay' for a few bucks.

It's hard to have an error collection without at least one cud in it.

The edge of the die had chipped or broken off prior to striking and what happened was the metal was able to flow into the vacant area with very little resistance when that planchete was struck .

What would be really cool would be if someone bought the cancelled die from the mint and even after the surface was ground away , the edge would still have some of the area where the edge chipped away...that would be nice to pair up.

Nice find anyway , good eye for catching it in your pocket change...now go find that 1969-S DDO cent !

Welcome to the Boards !