• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMS SETS OH MY GOD

55 posts in this topic

:acclaim:
If you send them in to be graded I would suggest you send them in in the mint holders..

I have a couple Lincolns from the SMS years that have that pretty purple but none as sweet as yours...

Good for you (thumbs u

Definitly STAR material at NGC if you ask me..

If you send them in to be graded I would suggest you send them in in the mint holders..

I have a couple Lincolns from the SMS years that have that pretty purple but none as sweet as yours...

Good for you (thumbs u

Those are pretty wild, I think some may BB even if sent in the OGP. They could be taken for AT.

Good for you (thumbs u

Those are pretty wild, I think some may BB even if sent in the OGP. They could be taken for AT.

That would really suck :frustrated:

I was thinking just now of doing each set in there own multi holder what do ya think

Did he say MULTI HOLDER :cloud9: :cloud9:

Woke you up, didn't he? :grin:

Great looking coins, Harvey. :applause:

Invoice 1:

Tier: Modern

Service: Multi-Coin Holder

Imaging: No

Quant* Date* Mint

Mark Denom* MSPF* Variety VarietyPlus

Attribution Certification # Per Coin

Value* Min.

Grade

1 1967 P 50c MS $300.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 25c MS $25.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 10c MS $10.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 5c MS $10.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 1c MS $150.00 Edit Delete

* denotes required field.

Invoice 1:

Tier: Modern

Service: Multi-Coin Holder

Imaging: No

Quant* Date* Mint

Mark Denom* MSPF* Variety VarietyPlus

Attribution Certification # Per Coin

Value* Min.

Grade

1 1967 P 50c MS $300.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 25c MS $25.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 10c MS $10.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 5c MS $10.00 Edit Delete

1 1967 P 1c MS $150.00 Edit Delete

* denotes required field.

Being the OWNER of the #3 position in this year I would say you are over pricing your submittal. Yes they are colorful but in MY opinion will not be graded that high.

I would say 2-300 for the set. Keep In Mind the Valuation is your INSURANCE valuation BOTH ways. I do see a FEW stars in your future though :).

SEND THEM IN THE MINT HOLDERS ...

I know I'm a wet blanket on this post, but I worry about the color on the halves. If you attempted to sell these to me at a premium I might think they were AT.

Thank you all for the kind words and yes Tom I understand what you are saying but I dont think I will be selling these and I know they are real. We will have to see what they grade. How should I send them down there priority?

I've always shipped coins to NGC and PCGS via Registered Mail, but others have stated they have good success with Priority Mail. The reason I would be suspicious about the halves is because I have never seen a 40% silver coin tone in that color scheme, which might also be the case for the graders when you send the coins in to them. Therefore, the toning might be legitimate, but still might be bagged because of any concerns.

I've always shipped coins to NGC and PCGS via Registered Mail, but others have stated they have good success with Priority Mail. The reason I would be suspicious about the halves is because I have never seen a 40% silver coin tone in that color scheme, which might also be the case for the graders when you send the coins in to them. Therefore, the toning might be legitimate, but still might be bagged because of any concerns.

That's why the coins should remain sealed in the original packaging, as already mentioned.

I've got three sets just like those , but have no way of proving if they were messed with or toned due to improper storage .

The SMS holders are not airtight and open very easily ... they just pop apart. The sets I got came from a large group I purchased from a long time local coin shop and were stored in a wooded overhead cabinet that was not accessed for years until I bought out all his remaining stock of '66 and '67 SMS sets .

Each was still inside its original cardboard sleeve , and of the 30-some odd sets only two had the type of toning like yours shows . The third set with the same identical toning was purchased seperately from an upstate coin show from a dealer that marked it down due to 'corrosion' (did I say SOLD ? ) .

I would certainly like to hear about your results with NGC after you submit them . Please follow up with an after story/report when you get them back .

Regardless of what anyone says about the cause of these SMS sets toning , they certainly look flashy and vibrant ...I am leaning toward natural accidental environmental toning from storage as one cause though, due to having found sets from different sources with identical colorations which would discount one guy going around making these and traveling the country to disperse them over a large period of years to disguise the work .

Seems the mint holders are to blame for allowing the gases from the cardboard sleeves to affect the coins as I have yet to find any colors like these on the '65 SMS sets( got a pile of them too hunting for Cameos) in the sealed plastic sleeves and envelopes .

Don't forget to post your results and Great find!

That's why the coins should remain sealed in the original packaging, as already mentioned.

I agree about keeping the coins in OGP. If you are having EACH coin in the set graded anyway, NGC does NOT charge to remove the coins from OGP anyway, so there is no reason to remove them from the OGP, especially because you may damage them in some way, and this way NGC can see the set is intact.

IF you are not grading the entire set, suppose you only wanted the Kennedy. NGC charges $1 per coin I believe to remove the others and return them to you in flips, ungraded (double check with them if you are going that route). Otherwise, I am pretty confident in the answer above about NO CHARGE to remove IF you are having the entire set graded.

Lastly, I am also generally a Registered Mail submitted, but that's because my insurance company requires it. I don't need to elect postal insurance in addition to it, but either have to elect Registered Mail (because it is so secure) or I think I can do another service level IF the package is larger than a certain size (I'd have to re-read my policy for those details). Ordinarily, I am submitting larger orders than just a 5-coin mint set.

So, considering you are submitting a 5-coin mint set, the decision is yours, but I personally wouldn't see anything wrong with even 1st Class Mail (depending on weight), with insurance (under $200? over $200?) and Delivery Confirmation. You can calculate different postage options at usps.com and see what is most cost efficient for you (1st Class, Priority, Registered, etc.). ADVICE: Stay clear of PARCEL POST, no matter no cheap it seems! I think the postal workers run those packages over with trucks a few times. I have a small (and imperfect) scale at home, and it's usually accurate within 1/2 to 1oz.

When I send in my Submission form I value the coins at what I pay for them and not at what grade I think I am going to get .

If I buy a 20 th Anniversary A.S.E set for $100.00 from the U.S Mint and send the Reverse Proof in thinking it might be a PF70 and worth $800.00 and get it back and it is a PF69 then I have paid shipping/postage on the basis of $500.00 more cost.

There is no guarantee of grade and they are being returned by Registered mail so what are the chances for loss?

In this case even in the event of loss , a 1967 SMS can be purchased for a lot less than $300.00

I live in Jacksonville Florida and NGC is in Sarasota Florida.I send all my coins by Priority mail because it is a flat rate at USPS. I insure it for the value of the coins and send it on its way.I have never had any problems.

I would worry about the toning also.Who knows if NGC will see it as AT or NT? Also I have seen on here where others have said they didn't get as good a grade which could be interpreted as lacking natural luster.