• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coins in question

35 posts in this topic

Harsh hairlines all over the fields, and the lack of luster for a coin in that grade makes it cleaned. Also, it's blast white, and over 150 years old. It's been stripped.

what is luster in coin terms? i know what luster is in gemology terms. i see sheen/shine what am i suposed to see that im not :( thanks im learning again :P

The 1843 Seated Liberty has been harshly cleaned to Hell and back and the 1799 is about the worst counterfeit I have ever seen. If these are items for sale in his store then he must remove the 1799 from sale since it is fake and I would also be concerned that other pieces were not real.

i want to make something clear b4 we continue. these coins have been sitting for 3+ yrs in his case with huge price tags on them (caught my interest) . i went in to get pics of these coins and show them off with his knowledge as to where they would be posted. he gladly allowed it.

he is not a bad guy and my 21 and 28 peace dollars both came from him and graded what he said they would and if he is far off he tries to make good. please dont decide bad about him cause maybe he just doesnt know what he has in these 2 coins :). he recently sold me a ms63 v nickel that i showed here. it graded a ms61 and he made right :) he has been in biz for long long time and i would even recomend going through him for hard to finds being he works with many dealers nationwide.

The 1843 Seated Liberty has been harshly cleaned to Hell and back and the 1799 is about the worst counterfeit I have ever seen. If these are items for sale in his store then he must remove the 1799 from sale since it is fake and I would also be concerned that other pieces were not real.

what do you mean pieces? there are 2 items. 1 is fake 1 is cleaned

Tom means that if these two coins were in his store, he would be concerned about other coins in his store. I mean, if he's selling 5 bust dollars and one of them is 100% fake, how sure can you be about the other four?

The fact that he has the counterfeit Bust dollar priced at $900 tells me that he knows that it's a fake, otherwise, he'd have it priced higher.

I saved the pics of the obviously fake 1799 dollar and it is marked for sale at $900, which is not what a junk counterfeit should be offered at if someone has any knowledge or honesty. It may have been in his shop for several years, but that is only because he hasn't bagged a sucker yet for the piece.

i want to make something clear b4 we continue. these coins have been sitting for 3+ yrs in his case with huge price tags on them (caught my interest) . i went in to get pics of these coins and show them off with his knowledge as to where they would be posted. he gladly allowed it.

he is not a bad guy and my 21 and 28 peace dollars both came from him and graded what he said they would and if he is far off he tries to make good. please dont decide bad about him cause maybe he just doesnt know what he has in these 2 coins :). he recently sold me a ms63 v nickel that i showed here. it graded a ms61 and he made right :) he has been in biz for long long time and i would even recomend going through him for hard to finds being he works with many dealers nationwide.

Before you edit away everything in your thread I thought I would quote this so that we have some sort of basis for the unedited portions of the thread.

I must have missed the original post. Ant, it doesn't sound like a lynching as it sounds mostly like people are voicing thier opinions on some posted coins. I feel when anyone posts a coin on these forums, that coin is open for discussion, opinions, and/or congrats. This would probably would have been an eduacational post for some members.

imediately people started stating why trust im and if those are fake everythings probly fake!! i just wanted opinions and should have left it at that but since its goins i will just repost

imediately people started stating why trust im and if those are fake everythings probly fake!! i just wanted opinions and should have left it at that but since its goins i will just repost

Perfectly understandable Ant, but remember, you are showing coins purchased/pictured from a dealer that no one else knows. These are only natural assumptions that I see coming out. I'm sure no harm done.

i just dont want him thinking i got a bash started. i do need some help in finding info on the fake so i can present it to him. he runs a shop where his main sales are hotwheels/beeds/art. he does very lil compaired in biz about coins and i hope he didnt get got way back when :( lots of the coins i have sold and that have graded come from him and he is very good to me! just last week he sold me the (ms63 i think) v nickel i showed and it graded ms61. well the next day he made good even though he disagreed with there grading.

sorry for jumping to conclusions all! if you ask munkyman95 i am kinda wierd due to bipolar disorder and my mind runs 1000 miles a minute :)

again please feel free to explain the coins i have shown and help me get the info i need to get to him. we may be helping him and not know it. i just cant see a dishonest dealer alowing some1 too come in take pics of fakes and know they are going here. im thinking he just doesnt know. the oldest stuff ive realy goten from him are in the barbers era :)

again im sorry to all if i jumped on ya!

also pics have been added to begining post and here they are again in short :) also i feel realy stupid for not seeing it myself on the fake. im still haveing problems with the outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed it is cleaned but sould it get a net grade and if so what? if real?

unknownstore001.jpg

unknownstore008.jpg

unknownstore004.jpg

unknownstore006.jpg

like i told chad in mesege, i wouldnt be suprized if i walk in tomarrow and he laghs and says " did you learn something". i never asked if real i only offered to buy if he sent to get graded and he always said " i dont know what im doing with those yet". this could be an embaressing lesson on i need to inspect more coins :)

cause now that i look at it all blown up i feel stupid for not seeing the fake in hand :( i think thats why he has 10,000 on it. we just dont have buyers here for that big of an investment (that isnt buying all the gold )

Ant,

Your little lady on the Draped hair bust half dollar is giving us the raspberries for taking her seriously. :P

If you want to see what a REAL 1796 Draped Hair Bust Half dollar counterfeit looks like, check out mine. She's smiling about something, don't know what.

Relax and all will out. I'm certain their will be no hard feelings by anyone.

Jim

179616starhalfdollar-1.jpg