• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Disappointed

22 posts in this topic

I go away for a few days and 250+ posts on this board, with only about 20 having anything to do with coins. confused.gif

Let's get Monday off to a better start for the coming week.

Keith, did you go Deer hunting? Any luck? I sat in the cold rain for 2 days..... nothing was moving. (except the young deer with no sense... which are to small to take) I hunt with the 8 point rule on bucks and 5 1/2 years on Doe's.

Spooly,

No this weekend was a church retreat. Will be hunting this Friday afternoon and Saturday. Ground rules are any spike or nicer buck is fine, no doe. Grandmother likes to hand feed them on the porch, and shooting her pets is a definite no-no.

Yes, playmates are OK. laugh.gif

One whitetail deer yields between 50 and 60 pounds of ground meat and steaks, which is used in lieu of beef. Considerably healthier that way.

I am wary about eating deer these days. They and elk can get a disease called chronic wasting disease. It is similar to bovine spongiform encepalapothy (mad cow disease).

My granddad has about 100 acres that are adjacent to a 80,000 acrea property that he helps manage. He keeps an eye on the deer populations and makes sure they appear healthy.

Gunsmoke,

It's a father/son thing. It's the only time each year we force ourselves to get together and go do something together just the two of us.

Most game biologist will tell you to take 2 Doe for every Buck. The state also follows that rule. 1 Buck , 2 or 3 Doe. Or 2 Bucks and 4 Doe. If you have a over pop of doe's..... the "spikes" get to play! Limit the number of Doe's.... the Big Bucks run off the "spikes".

Buck -up.... shoot a spike! Cull those basters out!

Early reports from my insufficiently_thoughtful_person cousin are that he saw two huge 8-pointers and an 11-pointer on Saturday. He decided to take his video camera and not his rifle.

I promised him that I would try my hardest to let him see those antlers up close.

Spooly,

Since the ranch borders the really big ranch, we just get some leftovers from there. They get as many doe tags as they want, and for management purposes, can hunt year-round. If I run out of venison, I'll call my granddad and he'll go shoot a couple of doe for me.

So you complain about the lack of coin related posts and the next thing I know I am learning the finer points of killing and eating Bambi! Well it could be worse, I just checked out the bar across the street and there were far more brawls there, enough to make our latest fiasco look calm. So don't be too disappointed in us, we could have devolved far more.

Any recipes for deer fricassee? (Joe I looked up the spelling on that just for you!) wink.gif

Spooly asked -- I was obligated to answer. Definitely more a Water Cooler topic, but I've made many coin-related posts today too, and none of them about die cracks on state quarter proofs. wink.gif