• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please share your thoughts on this 1831 Large Cent

7 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying I am not a large cent guy. I saw this 1831 and found it interesting. I believe this is a common variety ( 12 ? ). It has a nice doubled profile and the color is nice even though my camera's white balance always drives me nuts and might show the color a little off. The coin looks to have some hard packed dirt and not corrosion, especially on the reverse. I placed the coin in oil so it might show some remnants in these pics.

Any opinions on her grade/appearance?

1831largecento.jpg

1831largecentr.jpg

1831largecentdt.jpg

Cool large cent. I agree with the N-12 attribution. I suspect this coin has been recolored over the years as the color is a little too even, but it doesn't detract much from its grade or value. I'd grade the coin F-12. Nice coin & thanks for sharing...Mike

I agree..N-12, and with Mike's assessment that it's a ground recovery piece that's been recolored at some point... I think it's closer to 15/20 details and I don't think the recoloring or the patchy corrosion on the reverse is all that detracting... nice piece!

Leo