• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Seller treasuregallery2

16 posts in this topic

YUP, looks like the same scumbag to meet as the "original" Treasure Gallery. Except now, he is selling his wares out of Canada where if i recall, he is immune to the rule of not allowing slabbers in the auction titles.

pretty slick, but kinda expected from these type of slabbers.

I was wondering about using ACG in the title. However, isn't he still selling it on US eBay instead of Canadian eBay?

And the auctions still list a Florida address and mention Florida sales tax. hm

Greg,

I think he registered this account on Canadian ebay, but has the option clicked to offer the coin in the US market site also. This should come as no surprise that this slabber is trying to skirt the rules. I'll inform ebay of this guy that sells banned stuff, pretending to be from Canada to pull it off, but the billing and taxes are supposed to be remitted to Florida (where his home, and original operation is set up)

this is the same guy and he uses the sames terms . He is in Melbourne, Fl

http://stores.ebay.com/TREASURE-GALLERY-INC_W0QQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247

yup, we know it. same guy with one glaring difference. As Greg pointed out, type 'ACG' in the original account's store. you'll find ZERO coins being sold. he opened the second Canadian location to get by this rule, as he slabs this himself.

this is the same guy and he uses the sames terms . He is in Melbourne, Fl

http://stores.ebay.com/TREASURE-GALLERY-INC_W0QQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247

yup, we know it. same guy with one glaring difference. As Greg pointed out, type 'ACG' in the original account's store. you'll find ZERO coins being sold. he opened the second Canadian location to get by this rule, as he slabs this himself.

This does NOT circumvent eBay's rule for the sale of certified coins.

eBay was EXPLICIT when it started their policy that if coins are for sale on the U.S. site, then they are subject to U.S. law and thus their U.S. site policy. Had this seller listed them EXCLUSIVELY on eBay Canada (or elsewhere) the rules may (I am not sure) have been different. I am not versed in the rules for selling outside the U.S.

However, eBay made its position clear, that regardless of WHERE the item originated (seller's location), where it was LISTED (which marketplace) is what mattered as far as what laws and rules were applicable.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-coins.html

While the policy doesn't appear to specifically mention it, I am REASONABLY certain this is how they apply it. Therefore, I am going to report this seller, his/her items, and if others wish to do the same, by all means!

Be sure to use the link above, quote the policy link I mean... and reference as many eBay item numbers as are in violation in ONE report as you can (up to 10 on one form), so eBay gets the idea that it's a pattern. If the seller doesn't show the front AND back of the coin, that's a violation too, mention that in your report. Serial number missing? Also a violation worth reporting. (Those last two items apply EVEN to coins graded by APPROVED grading companies.)

-------------------------

UPDATE:

I made a report to eBay on a couple of issues:

1. The violation of the items that were not by "appropriate" grading companies being marketed as certified coins. I picked 10, some of which were ending soon, some of which I purposely went out to auctions ending in a few days, so eBay may have time to act before they end.

2. I referenced the other ID in Florida as another member pointed out, and how it appears to be an attempt to circumvent eBay policy, and possibly even state tax laws. I added that IF his location truly is Canada, he may also be in violation of Canadian law (federal and possibly provincial), because I think Canadians, when purchasing Canadian items (even numismatic), are subject to GST (Goods and Services Tax) and maybe even PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

3. I also pointed out that I believe that I read recently in a forum that eBay had for sellers about "The most common mistakes sellers make" that one of the top ten mistakes was listing the wrong location (theirs). eBay apparently feels VERY strongly about this because it affects buyer decision making when shopping, when knowing how to calculate postage, timing for expected delivery, etc. So, saying you live in one town next to the other (Chicago say vs. a no-name suburb town that no one has heard of, is not a big deal since the postage rates are the same, delivery time is the same, international issues don't change, etc.). Saying you are in Canada when you are in Florida, well, that's another story, and eBay may take issue with it, for the reasons that the Chicago example does not.

:makepoint:

Bully,

I see your point, but from the start, ICCS graded coins are accessible on US ebay by typing 'ICCS' into the subject line. Right now, there are 1488 ICCS graded coins on the US ebay site that are linked to Canadian sellers. As you know ICCS is now allowed as one the five TPGs (although why is debatable, as they are widely known to be very reputable and super strict graders. most of my former ICCS coins got at least a one point bump after re-submitting to NGC or PCGS)

the example of ICCS, leads me to believe that he is allowed to push his wares from the Canadian account.

Bully,

I see your point, but from the start, ICCS graded coins are accessible on US ebay by typing 'ICCS' into the subject line. Right now, there are 1488 ICCS graded coins on the US ebay site that are linked to Canadian sellers. As you know ICCS is now allowed as one the five TPGs (although why is debatable, as they are widely known to be very reputable and super strict graders. most of my former ICCS coins got at least a one point bump after re-submitting to NGC or PCGS)

the example of ICCS, leads me to believe that he is allowed to push his wares from the Canadian account.

It's really not about my point, but about eBay policy, which is explicit.

And for what it's worth, there are A LOT of U.S. eBay sellers (Powersellers even, even very reliable sellers, and many are sellers with whom I do business) who violate eBay's policy on the sale of certified coins every day. These folks use:

Stock photos

Don't show the front AND back of a certified coin

(the two most common violations)

Some won't show the serial number...(less common)

Some do the other grading services (again less common these days)

Bully,

Apparantly though, their "explicit" policy has never been followed when it relates to Canadian sellers that sell on Canadian (with the US ebay option clicked) ebay. These auctions come up on US ebay, and are not deleted. I know, as i've purchased a bunch of ICCS stuff since the new rules started, all from Canadian sellers on US ebay. There has been well over 1000 of these auctions every week on ebay. they have been good at cracking down on ACG, NNC, NTC and other stuff, why would they let Canadian sellers sell whatever unless they weren't goverened by the same rules?

Don't get me wrong- i think if your auctions show up on US ebay, you should have to follow these rules; but that hasn't been the case for Canadian sellers, which is probably why ACG made a calculated effort to do business based from a Canadian account.

Bully,

Apparantly though, their "explicit" policy has never been followed when it relates to Canadian sellers that sell on Canadian (with the US ebay option clicked) ebay. These auctions come up on US ebay, and are not deleted. I know, as i've purchased a bunch of ICCS stuff since the new rules started, all from Canadian sellers on US ebay. There has been well over 1000 of these auctions every week on ebay. they have been good at cracking down on ACG, NNC, NTC and other stuff, why would they let Canadian sellers sell whatever unless they weren't goverened by the same rules?

Don't get me wrong- i think if your auctions show up on US ebay, you should have to follow these rules; but that hasn't been the case for Canadian sellers, which is probably why ACG made a calculated effort to do business based from a Canadian account.

See my posting above on this topic (which I edited to include details of how US sellers commonly violate eBay's rules for the sale of certified coins).

The problem is that without reports, eBay cannot police its listings. It must rely on reports to investigate violations.

Even the TV show about them talked about their automation catches violations, but doesn't even scratch the surface, and doesn't catch THIS kind of violation.

rantrant

The problem is that without reports, eBay cannot police its listings. It must rely on reports to investigate violations.

Even the TV show about them talked about their automation catches violations, but doesn't even scratch the surface, and doesn't catch THIS kind of violation.

rantrant

eBay can very easily police their listings. All they need to do is enter in ACG or NTC or SGS into their search box and they will come up with a couple thousand listings in a matter of seconds. They just don't want to do this. This costs them money. Looking the other way while pretending to be doing some good is much more profitable for them.

Why can't eBay edit their software so that when someone tries to list a coin with ACG or NTC or SGS in the title, the eBay system prevent the auction and inform the seller that there is a listing violation?

And if they really wanted to stop these listings, it'd be simple. Stop refunding the insertion fees for violators. Would you list in violation if you knew if it got ended you'd lose money?

rantrant

eBay can very easily police their listings. All they need to do is enter in ACG or NTC or SGS into their search box and they will come up with a couple thousand listings in a matter of seconds. They just don't want to do this. This costs them money. Looking the other way while pretending to be doing some good is much more profitable for them.

Why can't eBay edit their software so that when someone tries to list a coin with ACG or NTC or SGS in the title, the eBay system prevent the auction and inform the seller that there is a listing violation?

And if they really wanted to stop these listings, it'd be simple. Stop refunding the insertion fees for violators. Would you list in violation if you knew if it got ended you'd lose money?

You are ABSOLUTELY correct, and I guess more accurately what I SHOULD save said is that eBay CAN, but does not make the effort nor dedicate the resources to policing its listings.

(worship)

thanks for the information. This seller had sold me coins in the past with " PL " in the description and turned out the PL was a sticker he put on the coins. He was famous for this on some very high priced coins. I got some feedback and found he has many issues and has for yesrs.

True. I have mentioned several times before that an Expert in Risk Assessment has mentioned on the CNBC channel regarding E BAY is that Automation is their weakest point.

It would be very easy for EBAY to upgrade and monior their software. They just don't want to pay the extra cost for it.

Also if they rely solely on reports then they can hide their head in the sand and pretend that certain situations don't exist. Sort of like " If a tree falls in the forest and you are not there to see it then does it make a sound?"