• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Survey of Buffalo nickles

13 posts in this topic

Hi all i splashed some cash and purchased this lot of 122 Buffalo nickles from an eBay seller in the UK. I have been meaning to start a Dansco album of buffaloes so i thought this could be a good way to start..

105101544_o.jpg

they were listed with lots of other USA coins which were "found" in a large horde !

the lot broke down to :-

1913 Type 1.....1

1913 Type 2.....1

1916 4

1917 3

1918 2

1919 2

1920 9

1921 1

1923 5

1924 3

1925 6

1925 s 1

1926 4

1927 3

1927 d 1

1928 2

1929 2

1929 s 1

1930 2

1934 3

1934 d 1

1935 15

1935 s 1

1936 26

1936 d 2

1936 s 3

1937 16

1937 d 1

1937 s 1

I think this seems like a fair mix of dates/mint marks. what would you have expected from this many nickles ?

Hear are some of the more interesting coins found in the lot:-

Please have a look at them and tell me if i have got them right

LAMINATIONS:-

1917 lamination reverse

1917lam.jpg

1920 lamination Reverse

1920lam.jpg

1917 Freaky reverse !!!!!

1917freck.jpg

1935 Seems to have a doubled date (probably mechanical/machine)

1935DD.jpg

1935DDc.jpg

Now to the most interesting / possible rarity's found in the lot (as always your imput on these coins will be greatly received)..

1925 S over D / D over S mint mark Or some thing completely different !!!

1925minto.jpg

1925mint.jpg

Scaned right way up

1925mintc.jpg

Scaned upside down

1925mintcc.jpg

and possibly the best for last

1936 possible Doubled date (or as il like to call it "The smiling 9")

Obverse

1936minto.jpg

Reverse

1936mintr.jpg

Close up of date

1936mintdd.jpg

"normal" 1936 date

A.jpg

Close up of Liberty

1936mintdl.jpg

So what do you all think was i stung ? or did i do OK ?

cheers dooly :devil:

I don't see any Doubled Dates hm....looks like Machine doubling on the 1936. The Overmint mark looks like damage but with a better image it could turn out to be an OMM. I do see a lamination error on one of the buffalo's but the other is so corroded I can tell. The buffalo with the gray back looks like environmental damage or something else that would lower the value as opposed to an error :o

I like the assortment of dates but the coins you posted all look like problem coins to me so what you paid would have a lot to do with my overall opinion of the lot but as with everything posted on these forums......if you are happy....I am happy (thumbs u

I don't see any Doubled Dates hm....looks like Machine doubling on the 1936. The Overmint mark looks like damage but with a better image it could turn out to be an OMM. I do see a lamination error on one of the buffalo's but the other is so corroded I can tell. The buffalo with the gray back looks like environmental damage or something else that would lower the value as opposed to an error :o

I like the assortment of dates but the coins you posted all look like problem coins to me so what you paid would have a lot to do with my overall opinion of the lot but as with everything posted on these forums......if you are happy....I am happy (thumbs u

Cheers for the comments (thumbs u

As i said mostly not errors just the more interesting of the lots the best condition ones have been put into my dansco.

the "green" stuff on one of the lamentations is a waxy substance not corrosion

The 1936 !! all the ones in the lot showed the "smiling" 9 but what makes me think it is a DDO is the one listed in the Cherrypickers guide as FS# 018.7

"Doubling is seen as extreme extra thickness primarily on the date and Liberty"

LastScan.jpg

The overmint thing well its got me totally perplexed as there seems to be no "after" mint damage in that area some times it looks like a S and others it seems like a D ????

thanks for the imput

I think that all the ones you pictured at least have some sort of damage. The doubling all seems to be machine doubling, at least from what I can see. What you need to do, for starters, is go buy like a gallon of acetone at least and get all that pvc off those coins and see if you might have something good underneath. Those laminations could be really cool, but I can hardly even see them through all the gunk.

That's a bunch of Buffs. I think it's a good way to start a Dansco. That's how I started mine Dooly. Bought a big ole bunch and just weeded out the best!!

I would have expected far more 1938-D Buffs in there, but you don't have any listed. hm

I don't know....given the vast amounts of MS 38-Ds maybe they didn't circulate all that much. A lot of these were saved evidently.

jom

Neat lot....If you had bought that lot in the States, it would have been all 30's.....

You got a really nice mix.

That green gunk will come off easily with 'lighter fluid' or acetone as P-F suggested.

Has to be removed while waxy. At some point (many years) it will solidify and then become irremovable.

Cool lot !!

Paul

I never found a circulated 38-D for my set in the early 1960s.

My Dad bought me BU speciman during the summer of 1962 for $3.25. That coin is at least MS-66 by today's standards and it resides in my Dansco album.

Very cool! I wish that I had the coins I had when I was a kid. (thumbs u (thumbs u