• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next to impossible to tell, but what would this Washington crossover w/ NGC at?

9 posts in this topic

I don't even have reverse photos... but based on the limited info. these two obverse photos tell you, do you think there is a chance NGC would PL this Denver mint quarter? (You may assume the reverse is as strong, if not a bit stronger, than the obverse.)

washcameo.jpg

pci1969.jpg

Nice coin, Braddick. It looks like it would cross but IMHO, I would crack it first.

I am really, truly curious:

Why do so many people say they would crack a coin before submitting it for crossover to NGC?

They also say this like it's easy to do...

The first pic doesnt look even close to CAM, but the second pic does look CAM, but then again, lighting is an issue, and I would never guess a grade from a pic. Though, the PCI Gold Label? Best you could get here is PL/ They wouldnt designate a non-proof coin CAM, would they (is there a precedent)? PCI, anything went, but would NGC? I think the best you could do is PL...but 67? I think there is too much going on in the neck area for 67, and the second pic, which makes it look cam, would that be the new 'Scarface' designation (maybe they would call it the 'Tony Montana'. Dont hold your breat, I wouldnt.....I think you are dealing with exactly as you think you are....I know you have HOPES it COULD cross, and get a CAM, but realistically, if you looked at it more than once, you know deep down that a Gold Label PCI will be a 66. It IS a nice coin, but given the facts, I think in reality you know whats more than likely going to happen once it hits that grading room. If you do send it in, I will keep my fingers crossed, because like I said, that second pic, well, COULD be a CAM, so hope the light is askew in the grading room that day! Good luck with it...and with all my 'reality check' honesty, its still a nice looking '69-D, and I am sure you picked it up for next to nothing! Again, it IS a nice coin!

Bully, this is just my opinion, but as far as sending a coin in still in the slab, when the graders see the coin already graded, BOOM, its a measuring stick, and they cant look at it objectively. Then, coupled with, as I said in my previous post, every knows PCI USED to be relatively tight/conservative with the old 10 digit green labels...then they went down the tubes. Most people, even you, I'd be willing to be, Bully, MUST have heard somewhere down the line, that PCI overgrades by a point or two or three, depends on the coin and the day, and thats determined by the slab color. In Braddicks example, its a Gold Label.....consensus is that a Gold Label is normally graded at least a point higher than NGC/PCGS would grade it (ANACS used to be in that respected group, but now.....has it really become a 2 team league? Maybe the buyers of PCI will make use of what they have, a turn-key operation and grade coins properly and pump out a good product....the hobby needs more TPG with real grading ability...the kind that will bring them at lest close to NGC/PCGS, as far as respectability).

Bully, to sum it up and answer your question directly..sending in a raw coin gives the grader the whole coin to look at, without seeing if, indeed, he agrees with a pre-assigned grade by someone else....its a variable that can ultimately hurt the grade. PCGS MS67 comes in.....NGC wants to see if they can pick up on anything the PCGS grader may have missed..you want them to grade a coin on the coin, not grade it from 67, then see if its a 66 or not..too many variables. Sending raw, the coin grades on its own merit, and doesnt start it out at a certain point. But, this is my opinion.....chime in if you dont agree with my philosophy on the subject. I would love to hear other opinions!!!

I know it used to be, at PCGS, the graders had the coin insert covered so the grade in the original holder couldn't be seen. I know PCGS stopped doing this awhile ago.

Does anyone know if NGC keeps the insert covered or has their policy in this regard changed also?

Currently there is only one other '69D Washington in an NGC holder designated PL - MS66. If I had a chance at owning the finest known, or even tied for finest known, example, I would go for it. Good luck! :wishluck:

I know it used to be, at PCGS, the graders had the coin insert covered so the grade in the original holder couldn't be seen. I know PCGS stopped doing this awhile ago.

Does anyone know if NGC keeps the insert covered or has their policy in this regard changed also?

NGC does not cover the grades.