• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this Fugio? Purchased! Grade it, critique it! *UPDATED PICS

22 posts in this topic

Fugio3.jpg

Fugio4.jpg

It's PCGS graded, STATES UNI 4 Cinq Fugio cent. I took these photos just now. I want some opinions. I really, really like the coin. But then again, I like almost any Fugio, so I might be a tad biased.

What do you think? What grade would you give it?

Note on pictures: The hairlines are all on the slab. I think the pics may be a bit washed out, but I tried to darken them, and I just ended up losing the coin's detail in the photos when I did that.

More photos bown below!!

I don't know anything about Fugio's but I love it. Beautiful coin-I'll not embarrass myself with a grade guess, but I think it should grade well. Go for it!

orang-utan1.gif

What I see, aside from possible planchet/strike flaws, looks like honest wear. I don't know how often these are made available, but if the price is right, I'd jump on it! (thumbs u

I would grade the coin Fine, but they are often drastically overgraded by TPGs. It has a nice look, but personally, I like a wee bit stronger date. That said, the sundial is nice and strong, and the central devices on the reverse are readable. My guess is that it's graded somewhere in the VF+ range.

I'm not big on the color or the surfaces. If this were a large cent from the 1820s or later, I'm not sure that PCGS would have graded it.

Here's a PCGS graded Fugio that I sold a couple years ago. I know that grade is much higher than the piece you are considering, but the color and surfaces are more like what you might consider.

FugioO.jpgFugioR.jpg

Great piece go for it

If you are looking for a "type" example of the Fugio cent, this is not a "great piece." There are a fair number of these coins known in Mint State with brown or R&B surfaces.

Great piece go for it

If you are looking for a "type" example of the Fugio cent, this is not a "great piece." There are a fair number of these coins known in Mint State with brown or R&B surfaces.

Gee Bill you can be such a BUZZ Killer sometime you know that :)

Hey guys,

I decided to purchase the coin. The price was right, and I went for it!

I took some more images, these are MUCH more representative of the color of the coin. However, I've still got some work to do. There's dust and lint all over the front of the slab, which explains the white specs all over the obverse (on the slab, not the coin)

Whaddaya think?

Fugio5.jpg

Fugio6.jpg

Your images make the coin appear much nicer than the first set. This is an exceptionally cool piece to have in a collection.

Black copper is a very solid indication of corrosion. So, it was good to see that your coin isn't. It is an incredible coin stocked full of history and founding fathers. It is an amazing coin and you should be envied as a collector. (thumbs u

Thanks guys!

The first images were taken at an angle, and the coin was washed out with light. The originals were very hard to see. So, I darkened the photos trying to reduce the brightness, and they turned out very black.

The second set of photos, the coin was shot head-on. The light was off to the side, so the light was much less harsh.

I'm glad you all like the coin. It's a beautiful piece of history!

Thanks guys!

The first images were taken at an angle, and the coin was washed out with light. The originals were very hard to see. So, I darkened the photos trying to reduce the brightness, and they turned out very black.

The second set of photos, the coin was shot head-on. The light was off to the side, so the light was much less harsh.

I'm glad you all like the coin. It's a beautiful piece of history!

Indeed a beautiful piece of history. :applause: (thumbs u