• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the grade on this 1806 quarter?

17 posts in this topic

Based on what I interpret to be luster, I'm going to assume some of the parts are weakly struck and call it an EF45.

The obverse looks cleaned.

The coin has some issues if I'm interpreting the images correctly, but I think that the problems are not sufficient enough to keep it out of a slab. I actually rather like the coin, and I concur with the above. It has the details of an EF45.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

The coin has some issues if I'm interpreting the images correctly, but I think that the problems are not sufficient enough to keep it out of a slab. I actually rather like the coin, and I concur with the above. It has the details of an EF45.

what kind of issues?

and what do you mean keep out of a slab?

ill try to scan 2 new pics tomorrow... these were ebay auction pics

The sharpness grade looks like a VF-35, but the sharpness is really EF-45. The weak centers are not unusual for this type, and the grade should not be lowered because of the lack of hair detail and the missing "E Pluribus Unium." The lack of detail is due an uneven strike, not wear.

Unfortunately the coin does its problems. The coin shows signs of cleaning, and the color that you see probably is not natural. There is a chance that this was once a well-preserved ground salvage piece that has been restored. As such it's certainly a decent example that would fit in well with an album type set, but I doubt that it could be graded in a PCGS or NGC holder.

what kind of issues?

and what do you mean keep out of a slab?

ill try to scan 2 new pics tomorrow... these were ebay auction pics

what kind of issues?

There are some strike issues, the strike is weak in some places. There is also a bit of damage.

and what do you mean keep it out of a slab?

The issues are somewhat minor, and a Third Party Grader would likely encalsulate and certify the coin even with the issues it has.

First off, welcome to the forum and I was waiting for a few of the experts (you know who you are) to comment about your very nice 202 year old quarter.

I wish I had an example of such caliber no matter what a grading service may think of it overall.

Enjoy your coin, show it off and be proud of the heritage it stands for.

~Woody~

First off, welcome to the forum and I was waiting for a few of the experts (you know who you are) to comment about your very nice 202 year old quarter.

I wish I had an example of such caliber no matter what a grading service may think of it overall.

Enjoy your coin, show it off and be proud of the heritage it stands for.

~Woody~

OK, let's put things in perspective.

There is nothing wrong with putting this coin in an album as part of nice collector’s set. There is A LOT WRONG with putting this coin into a slab with a “clean bill of health,” (i.e. “It has not problems”) and charging a collector $2,500 for it when it’s worth perhaps $800 or $900. That’s how low life dealers rip-off people with “third world slabs” on sales sites like eBay BEFORE the efforts have been made to clean things up.

What do you want the “experts” to do? Is it better to praise this coin to the skies and lead the new collectors astray? Or is it better to make this into a learning experience that might save the beginning collector from making a big mistake later?

Edited to say ...

NGC body bagged this coin, which is rarer than the quarter that started this string, for "improper cleaning." This is a $1,000 mistake on my part. And yes, I don't want to see others have the same thing happen to them.

1796HalfDimeV-1O.jpg1796HalfDimeV-1R.jpg

What do you want the “experts” to do? Is it better to praise this coin to the skies and lead the new collectors astray? Or is it better to make this into a learning experience that might save the beginning collector from making a big mistake later?

NGC body bagged this coin, which is rarer than the quarter that started this string, for "improper cleaning." This is a $1,000 mistake on my part. And yes, I don't want to see others have the same thing happen to them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that is precisely why I am here - to learn. Point out my mistakes, and the mistakes of others, (nicely) :) and show me your mistakes, and hopefully, we can all learn.

The retail price would be in the $700 to $900 range (a few years ago it would have been a good deal less than that) so you can figure in a dealer mark-up of say $200 and go from there for a wholesale price. This is the type of coin that does not turn over than quickly from inventory, the mark-up is either higher or the buy price is a little lower. "No problem" examples of these coins are quick sellers because there is so little on the market right now.