• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Error's like this one that get me excited!

11 posts in this topic

I read in yesterday's (when I got it) Numismatic News that 70,000-130,000 Madison dollars struck on quarter planchets were released by the mint but the errors were caught by the contractors who roll the product. The &*^^*(*)! That would have been a cool and inexpensive wrong planchet error available to most anyone.

BTW, Braddick, that is one of the strangest errors that I've seen and, by extension, one of the coolest! (thumbs u

any ideas as to how this type of error could even occur? Just a thought.

Some mint worker was fishing in his pocket for change for the drink machine, and dropped a dime in the cent planchet bin? (shrug)

any ideas as to how this type of error could even occur? Just a thought

A hopper bin was used to transport struck dimes to the bagging area. When it was emptied one or more dies got stuck in the seams or around the door. (These bins are large metal bins made of five pieces of metal. Four sides and a bottom. They are made with folded welded seams that are on the inside of the bin. there are gaps between the folded seam and the side panel of the bin. One side also has a sliding door in it at the bottom. The track this door slides in is also inside the bin and it is possible for coins or planchets to get caught around it as well.Several years back Coin World showed pictures taken while on a mint tour of the inside of an "empty" bin that clearly showed coins stuck in the seams and around the door.)

The bin is then used to transport cent planchets to the cent coining presses and is emptied into their feed hopper. One or more of the struck dimes was dislodged from a seam and got mixed in with the cent planchets. The dime then traveled along with the cent planchets, was fed into the press, and was struck by the cent dies. It continued on with the cents being bagged, shipped, rolled, and sent out to a bank and finally the public.