• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recieved a coin collection from my father, don't know what to do with it.

17 posts in this topic

Yes. Coins are all over the map. What kind, what era, what condition, raw or graded, etc?

Lots of expert help is available on this forum. We just need a little more to go on.

I will take more photos and scans and give an idea. Some are in little plastic holders, some are in envelopes, some are in coin holders. None are professional graded, and I know this collection has not been out in the last 15-20yrs.

What You Need to Know: Inherited Coin Collections

It might behoove you to give us an idea of what you have, maybe some pictures.

I can scan some coins in the next couple of days. I scanned one already as it stood out, here it is.

Coin.jpg

Just scanned the back of this coin, noticed its fake....Via the words COPY barely noticable by naked eye, but scanner picks up all.

Coin2.jpg

Yeah, it says Ceasar in Greek...I am guessing old.

Most are US or Canadien

Coin4.jpgCoin3.jpgcoin5.jpgCoin6.jpg

1) 1926 Oregon Trail Commemorative Half Dollar. Very popular coin.

2) 1884 O Morgan Dollar. Looks to be AU.

3) 1922 Peace Dollar. Very common, worth about bullion value.

Any chance you might want to keep the coins? I mean if they belonged to your dad maybe there is some sentimental value or you could hand them down to your children, if and when you have some? (shrug)

Just not into coins, my passion is comic books and my boys seem to be following suit. I can appriciate the sentiment, but for me items really don't connect me to a loved one, not to say I don't have cherished items from him, but they are things we enjoyed together. In the meantime, any money from them would be better served going to my mother...so in short, I will be selling the collection for her, she of course said I can keep them, but I know she could use the money and you can't take it with ya.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, the first thing is to get multiple appraisals and offers. I don't know whereabouts you live, but am always willing to give a free opinion. I know that many dealers will do the same.

An excellent resource may be to go to the local coin club a couple of times and feel out some help.

Good luck!

I agree with James here. Also if you know anyone personally that might be able to refer you to someone reputable to assess these coins for you. Treat them like an illness, always seek a second, or third, or fourth opinion, especially if you do not know any dealers personally.

ill trade comics for them :) you find out what you need to and contact me.pm me let me know what you collect. im a wrightson collector :) and have uncountable books :)

To start with you should just go out and purchase a book called the Red Book of coins. Also, there are a few books out there on prices and info on foreign coins. since you have thousands of coins, you should get those books, sit down and attempt to understand what you have yourself. Best to have an idea of what you have rather than attempting to post every coin one or two at a time. Might take time but also may well be worth the time.