• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign coin from U.S. mint

6 posts in this topic

Hey, Guys.

Just wondering if anyone knows how many countries the U.S.mint has made coins for. Peru, Philippines and Belgium come to mind but I bet there are a whole bunch more. That would be a fun set to assemble.

Ri AL

According to this article on the PCGS website:

"In the past the United States has struck coins for Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Belgian Congo, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Fiji, France, French Indo-China, Greenland, Guatemala, Hawaii, Honduras, Israel, Liberia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands East Indies, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, El Salvador, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Surinam, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand and Venezuela."

There is also this article from Coinworld.

The last time the US Mint struck coins for another country is 1984. It is the world's largest manufacturer of coins in both quantity and value by just producing coinage for the United States. :o

Scott :hi:

There is a book called Foreign Coins Struck At United States Mint by Altz & Barton that details the coins struck at the US Mints for foreign countries and their mintages.

The book is out of print and I think was made in the 1960's, but you can still find copies for sale with a little looking.

I can add one more country to Scott's list and one correction.

Iceland. It is also the most recent country that we have struck a coin for. The US 2000 Leif Ericson Milennium dollar commemorative had a 1000 Kronur Iceland companion coin in the set. That coin was also struck by the US Mint. The only coin struck by the US for another country since 1984.