• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Learn Please... "BB Lesson"

19 posts in this topic

I'd like to call this "BB Lesson 101" but unfortunately it's not my first BB, and probably not my last... :wishluck:

Anyway, I'm eager to learn and many of you have knowledge your willing to share which is a good thing...

This coin was sent to PCGS recently and BB'd. The comment was "environmental damage". Are there things in the pictures which you can see in the coin that I either didn't see or just didn't know that would have made you think it would BB? I'm not questioning PCGS at all; I just would like to increase my knowledge so as to improve my ability to grade and make better submissions.

Thanks in advance and perhaps others might want to share their similar experiences so that we can all learn.

25899446-Updated1853CircSet015.jpg

152882109-Updated1853CircSet016.jpg

Hi Richard,

From the images, at least, I think you caught PCGS on a bad/tough day and I believe I have seen much worse in holders. I also think that if you had not disclosed the coin had body-bagged for environmental damage, those on the PCGS forum who said it looked corroded wouldn't have necessarily come to that conclusion. ;)

I'm guessing it is a combination of what is on the rims, the reverse around "Of America", and the spot on the wreath.

i agree. it looks like corossion spots on the leaf in wrieth and rims. looks just like my large cent did that got the same thing.

i still think that sometimes they (graders) need to understand once a coin is made it starts to corode.all enviroment unless totaly sealed off corodes metal. i like the look of the coin. cant get more original than spoted metal.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still learning and will likely always be learning. In my limited experience over the last couple of years I've found that any of the "seated" coins are much harder for me to predict the outcome on than the other series I've submitted. I'm not sure why that is other than maybe I just like them too much and tend to see through rose colored glasses.

i am prety new (2yrs) i have lost over 2000$+ to body bags. i know people who have been sending for yrs get body bags. some of these series are hard to figure. one thing that i got helped alot but not fool proof. is the photograde book. i do the glasses thing also (alot) its so hard to think like a grader and not a collector :) also if i come across some nice graded coins i try to capture pic so i have something to go off of. or go by your graded coins. and compair

lol yes in grading fees! i sent everything and anything that looked good to me for a while. ok along while. right now im sending only coins for regestry set. so they get probobly 20 a yr now.

lol yes in grading fees! i sent everything and anything that looked good to me for a while. ok along while. right now im sending only coins for regestry set. so they get probobly 20 a yr now.

Oh, it was bad. Ant was sending in anything he could get his hands on. Sometimes 20+ of the same coin (Remember the 1973 Ikes?).Getting lots of low grades and bodybags.

He's learning, though.

What I don't get is the body bags for things like "scratched" - I mean, isn't a scratch just a flaw that should just make the grade lower? It's not like the coin was altered. Coins do, in fact, get scratched in the course of business.

Maybe I'm naive.

i feel u on that one bully :) they body bag 200 yr old coins for not looking original or coroded. coins that are 100+ yrs old should be looked at different. they seem to body bag alot when they get overwhelmed also. so if they have big turnaround times above original time dont send.

the faster the turnaround you experiance will tell you your grade... say you send 5 coins in and they are under a teir with a turnaround of 16 days then they are in "scheduled for grading" only 1-2 days ,means you will get alot of no grades. if it takes the full time usualy they grade. it seems more body bagged coins come out when they are on a long wait like instead of 16 days its marked 24 days. this situation is not the time to send.

just an observation on my submitions :)

I sent in some Moderns that were received by NGC on the 2/15/08 and today I checked and they are already in Quality Control.Obe was a Proof 2008 A.S.E I just received from the U.S. Mint a few weeks ago.

What does that tell me about my grades?

I sent in some Moderns that were received by NGC on the 2/15/08 and today I checked and they are already in Quality Control.Obe was a Proof 2008 A.S.E I just received from the U.S. Mint a few weeks ago.

What does that tell me about my grades?

That they BB'd your ASE?! :eek:

:D

I think the coins spend about the same amount of time in the grading room regardless of the final result. The time difference has to do with how much of a backlog of submissions they have, and what tiers they are in.

For the record, I've had very good results on modern submissions that went through in 3 days and very bad results on modern submissions that took over 1 month. The turnaround does not reflect the results, in my experience.